Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you keep Windows 98se from crashing ?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Rayoptics

Rayoptics

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm an older fellow that has a separate off line computer with Win98se on it.  I need to use the 98 computer to run some old telescope mirror testing programs that were written in DOS.  I use the f8 key to boot to DOS.  I have one favorite program called ADMIR that has it's own screenshot program. It gives me the best quality images of the graphs on the screen, but poor old scrnshot / scrnsho won't work on newer versions of Windows. You have to put the screensho file on a USB flash drive and newer versions of windows (the other computer) can then print it.

The biggest problem I have is keeping Win98 from getting corrupted and locking up (blue screen). Some of these problems are probably my own fault because of trying to import a file or two from a newer OS into 98 ...... Win98 probably says, What the heck is THAT ? (some discipline needed here) In any case, I'd like to know how I can make a rescue disk of some kind to restore 98 so it will work again.  I'm good with glass but not with computers. I would have to say that 98 is probably dumber than I am though.

Any step by step suggestions out there ? Thanks for reading.  :inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

Finding a legal OEM CD or MS blue-disk CD of Windows 98 or 98SE will be difficult; I'm not sure if an ISO is available out there.  I ran Windows 95-98=98SE not too long ago.  If I can remember how in the past I was able to Safe Mode into and allow W98SE to repair itself -- I'll come back in.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer :)  .  

I still have one laptop with Windows 98 SE on it.   Over the years I've had great luck improving the stability of Windows 98 SE machines by installing:

- The Unofficial Service Pack for Windows 98 SE (currently at v 3.39)

- KernelEx

- Revolutions Pack

More information on all three can be found at the MSFN forums under the Windows 9x Member Projects subforum :)   .

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

Daveydoom, thanks for the reminder!  I think I installed those you mentioned [or 2 out of 3] -- and such helped a lot with my earlier W98-98SE!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

Thank you Roland and Daveydoom.  I'd like to get some instructions on how to use safe mode, but in the mean time I'll check out MSFN.

I forgot to mention that ADMIR can be run on XP which I'm still using. The graph will come up and fill the whole screen, but  I can't get MWsnap to capture it. Maybe there's another trustworthy screenshot program with hot keys (that work) that will grab the pic for me. MWsnap is very old. Any suggestions ? Thanks,

Alan  :hello:

Edited by Rayoptics, 21 March 2015 - 02:04 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:46 PM

If the program is running in XP and it is the active Window press Alt+PrntScreen. Open Paint and select Edit > Paste. This will give you the ADMIR window which you can then edit or crop in Paint.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 March 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#7 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:24 PM

JohnC_21  

JohnC_21 said .....

"If the program is running in XP and it is the active Window press Alt+PrntScreen. Open Paint and select Edit > Paste. This will give you the ADMIR window which you can then edit or crop in Paint."

Hi John,

I tried that and there was nothing to paste.  The program looks like this on the screen showing a few of its files. At this small screen you press enter and another screen appears (small window remains the same size) and you type in readings and other data you got from your optical test. As you progress through it, you come to a page that lets you select the graph you want displayed. I'll usually select #3 and (BOOM) the graph takes over the whole screen.I should add that I bought this test program in the early 90s. It came on a diskette.

Attached File  ADMIR.png   31.48KB   0 downloads

Edited by Rayoptics, 21 March 2015 - 08:26 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:05 AM

If you left click once on the full screen graph and then press the PrntScreen key, does anything paste in Paint?

Edit: I found out that you cannot capture a full-Dos screen in XP. You would need to get that graph in a Windows and not full-screen. You could run the program in a virtual machine like D-fend Reloaded which is a GUI front end for DOS-box, a virtual DOS OS. It has a bit of a learning curve but once up and running it is very easy to use.

Here is a tutorial on it's use. You should then be able to take screenshots of the graph using prtscrn. I have used D-fend for playing old DOS games on XP with sound but I have not used it for taking screen shots so I can't guarantee it will work.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 March 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:57 AM

Gadwin PrintScreen, a freebie just might do the trick.  Also, one can also reSize a DOS box - it's been too long for me to remember how that was done within XP/within W98SE.

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:44 AM

Best way to keep a Win98 from crashing, is to use Norton Systemworks.  That is a forbidden topic in this forum, so be warned BC does NOT endorse what I say (of course not, I'm just a typer in the forum, not a part of BC).  They will tell you that all such non-MSFT programs are either useless at best, or dangerous.  So now you are warned.  I hope I stated that rightly, in deference to BC.

Win98 backup and reinstall is more convoluted:  it requires a startup floppy or CD, the original installation CDs, or.. Norton SystemWorks, which is a version of the same thing.  Else, all you can do, is the floppy rescue/startup disk program in Win98, plus backup/restore. That won't protect you from the BSODs (which are usually due to driver problems or bad shutdowns, partial uninstalls that Norton can find and identify).  But it will help you recover from them.

But here's what I know and have lived through: Nortons' programs have saved every Win98 I own, many many times, from BSODs and every kind of error you want to name.  For 20 YEARS.  When Windows updates stopped, those machines became stable.  All my client work was AND IS STILL on them.  I have to keep it forever, due to IRS audits (to prove origin).  All of them are still running, except the one whose internal zip drive I misconnected.  Someday I'll fix it.

Granted, you can't use powerful programs like that without being very very very very careful to monitor every step.  Never never never never automate such tasks.  Even Norton's stuff says that.  For Norton accompanied his stuff with huge tutorials and books, just like he used to with Norton Utilities.  That's how I LEARNED Windows for crying out loud.  Editing the registry with Norton Registry Editor, doing myself by hand over and over and over to fix an attempt to make a Win95 machine a Win98 machine.  Prior owner was so aggravated at trying, he threw the Micron out.  Thanks to Norton System Works along with other stuff I got at Office Depot shortly after that April Fool's Day in 2000, I got that machine working again.  Took three months, because the prior owner had all kinds of mishmosh between Win95 and 98 in the registry.

So I guess you can say I know something about recovery.  And yes, BC is right.  At the same time, I actually use this software and it saves my machines.  Still.

I know how resizing a DOS window is done, do it all the time.  But I never got DOS to run successfully in Win98 except as RayOptics says, with F8.  But DOS runs really well in XP. (Purists will tell you it's not DOS anymore.  Yet it still works with all the same commands.)  Fullscreen or not, and the Print Screen might work too. I use it a lot, as my business is built around DOS Lotus 1-2-3 version 2.1. (Nothing better has come since, for my actuarial calcs.)

To size a Dos window, then, I know from XP but maybe it works in Win98 also, for you.  On the main executable, right click Properties, then you see Font Layout.  Picking different fonts sizes the box.

But there's another answer.  If you have a newer machine, you might be able to run your programs in DOSbox.  There's a configuration file it uses you can tweak to get the window size you want, each time and you can change it anytime, though only through the config file.  You can download Dosbox free, here.  Click on the Green button.  It works eiher in Linux or Windows.

Then read the Dosbox-0.74.conf file (should be in Users AppData Local, in Win8 or 10, you won't see the file until after install);  it will tell you how to change the default params.  In the [autoexec] section at the bottom of the file, you put in your batch commands.  Since it's open source, I can upload the way I coded it to my domain, if you like.

DOSbox works in Windows 10 64-bit, and in Win8 32-bit.  You don't need it for XP 32-bit; just do the 7th paragraph's right-click on the executable.  If you'll make a batch file to launch it, make sure the right-click Properties specs on the batch file are the same, though in XP I've sometimes forgotten to do that, and it runs fine.  In Win7 32-bit, the principles are the same as for XP, but you can't run fullscreen in Win7.

Try it, so you have an alternative to Win98.

Then there's Taos Computing, but since Dosbox works for me, I didn't go to them.  They offer more sophisticated emulation, which COBOL and other science-specific applications need.

As far as restoration goes, I'd get Norton GoBack 4.0 for Win98, or even up to 2006 SystemWorks (which includes GoBack, and also works for XP).  I use it on all my Win98 and XP machines ever since I got them.  This only protects you one day at a time, but you can literally roll back the clock to when it worked.  The program inserts itself at boot before Windows, so you can do troubleshooting prior to Windows without a PE environment.  I've used it 1000 times, easily.  Either a Win update or installation trashed the machine, or it just didn't feel good when it woke up that morning. :radioactive:

There's no really good restoration/recovery method for Win98, other than reinstallation from the CDs.  You've only got rescue, or backup.  Versions through 2006 Systemworks have programs for this, too.

I've done their Iomega thing, plus Iomega's own version, still have the zips.  Better, is Retrospect 6.5 (which I use a lot for Win98 also).

Win98 can handle only certain usb drives: the old big WD with extra usb hub and firewire  , hulky thing;  have two of those, plus 3 Seagate (wheel) Pocket drives (way overpriced, almost as bad on Ebay).  So you can do backups on those drives as well.  But not image, as all the imaging software wants more RAM than you likely have;  except, Retrospect (covered below) has an imaging option which you might like.

Here's the link to NortonSystemWorks, as it has recovery/rescue disk creation expressly designed for Win98, and uses Iomega.  You have Zip drives, right?  Probably 2003 will be okay, but after that they started focusing more on XP.  I use 2000 but also 2006 on my Win98s, so now I contradict myself, lol.

Retrospect Express 6.5 is an automated backup especially for Win98 and XP, which also does 'duplicate': meaning, a live copy of all programs and files, very efficient and came free with the WDs.  It runs on Win98 (and used to run my XP machines) religiously, automated;  so you can just set it up, set the drive up, make sure the machine is on when backup is to run, and forget it.  Better still, you can get Professional in Amazon.   Retrospect's special instructions for creating images and startup disks drove me nuts, so I never tried them.  As you're smarter than me, you'll understand them.  Prices on all these programs are pretty low.

I don't know where to find lower prices on the drives, but there must be lower prices somewhere.  I bought my Seagates for like $12, and the WDs, for like $75 back in the day.  The last one I want to argue cost me $50 a few years ago.  I just searched for where else you might find them, turning up empty.

Since they are all FAT32, you'd think a later drive just needs to be FAT32, but I've not had luck with that.  Must be something in the controller for the later drives.

Edited by brainout, 13 July 2015 - 08:01 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#11 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

Thank you brainout ........ I'll check out some of those restoration programs, but I don't have a zip drive and don't even know how to make a disk that boots. I'm good at making telescope mirrors but almost a dummy with computers. Funny you should mention a Micron computer, because that's what my Win98se is on.

What's with these Win98 updates ? I have an old one from Exhuberant software which is okay. I think that's the one that turns on the USB feature. A newer update from a site called MSFN caused the 98 computer to lock up. It says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". 

:smash:

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

You may have already see this but there are Windows programs to test mirrors. Six Tests has a Windows version that works in XP. I was also able to run FigureXP. In the zip file see the readme file on how to install.

#13 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:40 PM

You may have already see this but there are Windows programs to test mirrors. Six Tests has a Windows version that works in XP. I was also able to run FigureXP. In the zip file see the readme file on how to install.

Hi John,

You must be an astronomer ! That's cool. ...... I really like Figure XP.  It makes the job easier, but I still like to cross reference with Dick Suiter's old Admir program, which is DOS. I have an old screen shot program that works well with it.  I don't know why it was never redone for windows. Thanks for joining the conversation.

Alan  :thumbup2:

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:17 PM

Not an amateur astronomer unfortunately. I am interested in space. Can't wait to see the Pluto flyby. I just thought I could Google and find something windows related that might help. I found something that was like $400 so I ruled that out.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

RayOptic, I have a license and a legal copy of Norton SystemWorks; if it will help you, I can ship the whole thing, plus a "bill of sale," to you.  As long as NSW is transferred lock, stock & barrel, there should be no problem having Symantec transfer my license to you.

Edited by RolandJS, 13 July 2015 - 09:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users