To sum up: I can't install or run Dropbox anywhere but in safe mode. Something I'm running in normal Windows 8.1 mode is conflicting. I have searched logs my, but have found nothing, at least nothing I can decipher. Dropbox support couldn't help. Dropbox is the only executable installer I have that won't start. My dropbox account is running like a champ on various other Mac and Windows 7 and 8 machines at school and home. How can I resolve this?
I've had Dropbox 3.03, pro account, Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center. Beginning two weeks ago, Dropbox's status had been stuck on "Upgrading Dropbox" and Windows Explorer was using up to 35% CPU constantly. (I still was able to sync.) The status bar icon finally stopped loading about a week ago. The current Dropbox version is 3.2.9.
I have scanned and continue to scan daily using Avast 2015 (paid version, but usually not installed), Emsisoft, Malwarebytes, and ADWCleaner, all of which say I'm clean.
I uninstalled Dropbox to see if a fresh install would help, including removing all Dropbox folders and, of course, a restart. But, when I download a current version, it won't install. Nothing happens when I click the downloaded file except an increase in Windows Explorer CPU (25%) usage. This happens with both the online and offline downloads. This happens no matter what disk or portable device I try to run the downloaded installation files from.
Here are some other solutions I've tried, all without success:
- Uninstalling Dropbox, rebooting, and reinstalling newest and older versions. Newest versions won't install.The only older version I have available is 2.8.4, and it will install, but it won't let me sign in. Instead, it warns me that I need to download a newer version.
- Installing the latest version in safe mode with networking. That works, Dropbox syncs and all, but it won't start up on a restart, and the excessive CPU action for Windows Explorer begins again (interestingly, I can't uninstall a Dropbox installation made in safe mode except in safe mode). I know this is the key. Something I'm running is conflicting. I just can't figure out what.
- Unlinking and relinking from Dropbox on the web and from the Windows app.
- Disabling all security shields. (I had not added any new security for months before this problem started)
- Uninstalling all three of my security programs, all of which are paid and up-to-date: Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes, and Emsisoft (and have tried running both Emsisoft Anti-malware and Emsisoft Internet Security versions at different times).
- Whitelisting dropbox.exe (user>fred>appdata>roaming>dropbox) and the Dropbox install file.
- Creating a new admin user account (same problem with new user).
- Uninstalling the few programs I had installed anywhere near the time when the Dropbox problems began..
I need Dropbox for home to work. I can use the web app, but given how much I use it, I would love to have the Dropbox app back onboard. I know I can refresh Windows 8.1, and that's my next step, but that is time-consumming. Thanks for any help!
Edited by teach1st, 21 March 2015 - 12:49 PM.