Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access internet? "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN"

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 loggy23

loggy23

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:26 AM

Hello there and thanks for your time.

I am in windows XP and I can't seem to access the internet as when I open Google Chrome or Internet Explorer, the page can not be displayed.

In chrome, I get the error message "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" for any website I try access. I have already tried "ipconfig/flushdns" and "netsh winsock reset" and the problem remains. I have tried changing my DNS from being automatically assigned, to being manually assigned to 8.8.8.8 (which I believe to be google's public dns) and still no luck. 

My problem seems to differ from other problems posted about this error message as it is happening in every browser, not just chrome, and the usual fixes don't work for me.

This started happening after I used an application called "freefixer" to remove some unnecessary processes and I think I may have accidentally deleted something, causing my problem.

I have tried system restore but I get a message saying that I cannot restore to the previous state and no changes have been made. I have also tried resetting the router with no luck.

Any solutions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

You are getting that error message because DNS cannot resolve the URL.

FreeFixer can cause more problems than it solves when not used correctly, and most of the documentation suggests that unless you are an expert, you should get advice before using it to remove anything. It's quite possible that FreeFixer deleted files the DNS client on your system needs.

First, make sure the client service is actually running. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/919746

If that fails to resolve it, open a command prompt and try running sfc /scannow.

#3 comp_error5

comp_error5

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:17 AM

Hello I'am also having the same problem.

Although when I tried "netsh winsock reset" the I get an error message the command promt that says assess denied. I have tried running the command promt as an administrator as well and still no luck.

I have also tried sfc /scannow and reset my computer the issue continues.

I have been looking through forums but I can not seem to find a solution. My next step would be to delete my winsock file and reinstall it because I believe it might be corrupted by a virus but I have also read that it may cause a problems if I were to do this. I also tried changing the winsock from the instructions from this forum http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/unable-to-reset-winsock-cant-delete-winsock2-key/fbf16076-6067-4622-9096-17cc182c76fd. 

There is also another thread that I have found on this site http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/471997/cannot-connect-to-internet/ which may fix my issue but they were able to succesfully reset the winsock catalog.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:43 AM

Please start a separate thread for this, in order to avoid any confusion when members respond.

#5 loggy23

loggy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

I have tried the winsock reset command with no luck and I cannot perform the sfc /scannow as I have misplaced my windows xp disc, which is required.

Also, when connecting to the internet, it gets stuck on "acquiring network address" and if I try the "repair" option It gets stuck on "renewing IP address.

Thanks again

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

I have tried the winsock reset command with no luck and I cannot perform the sfc /scannow as I have misplaced my windows xp disc, which is required.

Also, when connecting to the internet, it gets stuck on "acquiring network address" and if I try the "repair" option It gets stuck on "renewing IP address.

Thanks again

The "acquiring network address" error message means the DHCP service is failing to start, and this may be due to the fact that a service that service depends on is also failing to start.

You might try going through all the suggestions in this link to try and fix that: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-networking/dhcp-client-wont-start-due-to-dependency/91d41140-663f-4f58-9a04-9eaab2c40884?page=1&tm=1337843742557

If these fail to work, and if you can't get a copy of the XP disk to run system file checker, you may be forced to install another operating system on your computer.

#7 loggy23

loggy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

Okay I found my windows xp disk and ran system file checker but the issue is not resolved. My wireless connection status says it is connected and both the DNS and DHCP Client services seem to be running fine and can be stopped/started with no problems. Everything seems to be in order apart from when i use a browser and I can't access any webpages. Strange.

Also I can ping the default gateway and 8.8.8.8 fine but I can not ping a web address such as "www.yahoo.com" so I am sure this is a DNS error.

EDIT: I've had a breakthrough. If I type a website's IP address in the search bar rather than it's domain name then I can access it. I can access google if I type in "216.58.210.36" (it's IP address) but not if I type in "www.google.com"

What the problem? Thanks :)

Edited by loggy23, 04 April 2015 - 05:03 PM.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

If you do an ipconfig from the command prompt, what IP address and default gateway addresses are showing. How about the DNS address?

Bear in mind both those services rely on other services, and if those other services aren't running, it will cause issues. Are you still getting the same error message?

#9 loggy23

loggy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:12 PM

If I do ipconfig I get this:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix...: *blank space*
IP Address ...: 192.168.0.13
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

Well, that looks about right.

Sorry, you'll need to do ipconfig /all to get the DNS settings.

#11 loggy23

loggy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:32 PM

The connection-specific DNS suffix being missing seems odd.
This is the result of ipconfig /all

Description: 802.11n USB wireless LAN card
Physical address: 7C-DD-90-30-F0-CC
DHCP enabled: yes
Auto configuration enabled: yes
IP address: 192.168.0.13
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
DHCP server: 192.168.0.1
DNS servers: 194.168.4.100, 194.168.8.100

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:37 PM

The connection-specific DNS suffix may or may not appear; depends on who your ISP is and how you are connecting. Based on the DNS server settings, you're ISP is Cable Online, yes? Can you go into the router and try changing those DNS server addresses to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?

#13 loggy23

loggy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

My ISP is virgin media, and I have changed the DNS server address to those specified but still no luck.

It seems odd that I can access sites by their IP address' but not their web address.

Thanks again :)

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:48 PM

Yep. That's definitely a DNS issue, and if changing the DNS server address didn't resolve it, then it's the DNS client service on your computer that is the issue.

Try going to the services.msc console, stopping the DNS client service, and restarting it. You can also right click the service, go to Properties, and check the Dependencies tab to see what services the DNS service depends on. Make sure those are all started and running as well.

#15 loggy23

loggy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:29 PM

The DNS client service and it's dependencies are all started and running. Problem still remains :/

Edited by loggy23, 04 April 2015 - 06:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users