Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Save A Post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:48 PM

Howdy,

There are several posts that have valuable information and links, is there a way that I can save a particular post to a file for future reference? Or if there isn't a way of doing this, how would I be able to locate that same post in the future?

thanks
rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:19 AM

Howdy,

There are several posts that have valuable information and links, is there a way that I can save a particular post to a file for future reference? Or if there isn't a way of doing this, how would I be able to locate that same post in the future?

thanks
rlight

Hi Rlight,

I'm not an expert at any aspect of using a computer and I'm sure there may be other ways to do this, but all I do is 'copy and paste' some of the great advise I know I'll need in the future. (Especially the things pertaining to 'what to do' should my computer develop hiccups and I can't even get back here for help - eek!).

1. Find the appropriate post you wish to save for future reference ... minimize your browser window but don't close it ...

2. Now open Microsoft Office or Word program ... and minimize it

3. Now expand your brower window ... use mouse to 'highlight' words/sentences you want saved ... click on
EDIT and from the 'drop down' box, click on COPY

4. Now expand your Microsoft Office or Word program ... click on EDIT and from the 'drop down' box, click on PASTE.

5. With your Microsoft Office or Word program open (and the data now copied onto the page) ... click on FILE ... and from 'drop down' box, choose SAVE AS ...

6. And when the 'destination box' pops up, name the file whatever you wish and choose the destination the file will be saved to (eg. C:\Windows\My Documents\Tutorials re Computer)

I know I've gone into likely way way way too much detail for you - and if so, I apologise - gentle smile. It's just when I was first starting out, if someone forgot to mention even one step, I was doomed! Eek!

Hope the above has been some help to you, Rlight.

Mara
p.s. I'm actually not sure what 'Bleeping Computer's' policy is on copywrite, etc - so I save things for my own use only.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:02 AM

To save a web page:

Using IE:
Navigate to the page you want to save.
In the Tool Bar at the top of the page, click File, and select Save As....
Name the file, and select a place to save it.

Using Firefox:
Navigate to the page you want to save.
Right click and select Save Page As...
Name the file, and select a place to save it.

You could also start a Notepad document, and save the URL to the pages you want to save, with a description of what's on the page (why you saved it).

You could also save the URL in a Word document, as MaraM suggested, which would give you clickable links.

Another option would be to Bookmark the pages you want to save.

Edited by tg1911, 30 June 2006 - 03:06 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:13 AM

This is a good point rlight.

When I come across info I think will be worth keeping, I bookmark that page into a folder named 'BC Tips'.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:33 AM

I copy and paste information into a series of OO.o documents that are topically named (and in folders as well), along with the links for reference. This organisation keeps related information together; and with a little effort, I can summarise each new entry at the top of the document (often with three or four catchwords).
Bookmarking is also handy, especially if you can organise these into separate folders (Firefox makes this easy) so information can be found quickly and does not make the bookmark list unmanageable.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:38 PM

Another way is, on the very first post of a thread, on the far right, there is a pull down button called "Options". Under that is the ability to "track" this topic. Once you select it, it gives you options of methods of notification if you wish. Once you have selected that topic, and notification if you choose. You can then go to My Controls and under Menu look at subscribed topics.

Be (Keeping it all at BC) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users