Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extraction Failed/File is corrupt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:19 AM

I am trying to install XP.  This is what happens:

Installed XP.  Okay.  Reboot.

Installed SP1.  Okay.  Reboot.

Installed SP2.  Okay.  Reboot

Installed SP3.  "Extraction Failed/File is corrupt"

I just used the SP3 file a couple weeks ago on another machine.  I know it is not corrupt.  To be sure, I retrieved another copy from a backup disk made before I used SP3 the previous time and it did the same thing.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,829 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:38 AM

SP3 can be installed on a SP1 computer. Try using the Iso version. Burn it to disk and install. It's also possible there was some corruption on the HDD itself.

#3 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:34 PM

Thank-you, I'll try it and see what happens.

When you say, "some corruption on the HDD itself", do you mean the hard drive to which I am trying to install it on?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,829 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:12 AM

Yes, You can check the hard drive with a program like Gsmartcontrol. Run the short test and look at the attributes tab. You can post the logs in your next post if you wish. There probably are some pink rows but if you see any red rows that can indicate a failing drive. I think the iso file will work though.

#5 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:12 PM

Okay, the iso file worked, although I'm baffled as to why the install file didn't, but did a few weeks ago.  I think I will download the file version again and keep both.  Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:40 AM

FWIW:  Files stored on hard drives...can become corrupt at any time, for various reasons.  As John pointed out, a common cause of file corruption could be hard drive problems...but there are other causes, see Causes of Data Corruption - http://ezinearticles.com/?Causes-of-Data-Corruption&id=817785 AND Data corruption and loss causes and avoidance - http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/datacorruption.html .

Louis

#7 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

Thanks.

It wasn't just one copy on one hard drive that I tried, though.  It was several from different backup dates on different back up drives.  It would be unlikely for them to suddenly all go bad, especially when I have never had any problem with any other files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users