Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Micro Freezes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 roo-fee-oh

roo-fee-oh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:54 PM

Since upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7 I have had issues with constant freezing. The freezes only last a second or two. It's most noticeable in games, where my FPS actually drops from 150+ to 10, but it also happens on the desktop. It's hard to track the frequency, it seems random. Sometimes it will happen multiple times in a 10 minute window, other times it will only be once every 20 minutes. I've watched the CPU, GPU and I/O usage and it doesn't seem to coincide with a spike or drop in any of them. Temps are also normal.

Things I've tried:

Reinstalling Windows 8.1

Reinstalling GPU, Motherboard and CPU drivers

Pulling a USB 3.0 PCIe card I put in around the time of the upgrade to Win 8.1

Here is my build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  
Storage: Plextor M5P Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 6970 2GB Video Card 
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: XFX Black Edition 750W 80+ Silver Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 

Everything ran fine in Windows 7 so I can't imagine it's a hardware issue. Unfortunately, my Windows 7 key had been used too many times (WTF is this?) and when I reinstalled it told me it couldn't activate. I spoke with Microsoft's phone support who basically told me to bleep off and buy another copy. Despite being pretty pissed about the whole ordeal, I purchased 8.1. Now I'm stuck with a computer that can't play games.

Sorry for the little rant there, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by roo-fee-oh, 20 March 2015 - 09:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:22 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

my FPS actually drops from 150+ to 10

So it isn't in fact 'freezing' but slowing down dramatically. Are these on-line games you are playing and are you on-line when it happens on your desktop ?  If this is the case it could be a problem with your internet connection rather than with your computer - just a thought.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 roo-fee-oh

roo-fee-oh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

Check it. I had noticed a new clicking noise coming from my computer recently. I had also just bought a new HDD while making a run to Microcenter because it was on sale and why not? My current one was pushing 6 years of use and I knew it was going to be needed sooner or later. In League of Legends and CS:GO the clicking noise didn't necessarily coincide with the FPS loss, so I assumed it was a fan. But Then I tried out Infestation: Survivor Stories and the clicks and freezes were perfectly aligned. I put all of my games and other programs onto the new hard drive and no more freezes!

Thanks for your input. I knew with the fact that it was a FPS drop it was software/hardware and not network (ping stayed fine) but just wasn't putting 2 and 2 together. Seems the new OS install was just a red herring. 

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

Glad you have it sorted. At least changing an HDD and doing a full re-install is probably easier - and quicker - than trying to convince your ISP or phone company of the existence of a brief intermittent fault. It's bad enough trying to convince them of an ongoing one !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users