Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't boot and neither will repair disk

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joe5joe7

joe5joe7

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

The problem started last night when I tripped over the power cable while my computer was turning off; when I turned it back on today I was greeted by an error to boot. ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt.

No problem I thought, so I went to boot from my windows disk to repair it, only problem is that my windows disk gets stuck on "windows is loading files" at around 15 percent. I'm kind of out of ideas while I rummage around for a USB to boot linux, any other ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:11 PM

Make sure to give more time for Windows Setup DVD to startup. Have you created the Windows Setup DVD or CD or is it legit retail disk. Can you tell us the Windows OS version that is not booting.

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 joe5joe7

joe5joe7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:16 PM

It's a legit retail disk, windows 7 home premium 64 bit, and I gave it more time and came downstairs to this:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer
If you continue to receive this error message contact the hardware manufacturer

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occured

:(

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:23 PM

Disconnect all externally connected devices from computer except for mouse and keyboard. Faulty hardware such as a hard disk drive or CD-ROM drive could cause this error.

Edited by FreeBooter, 20 March 2015 - 07:23 PM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#5 joe5joe7

joe5joe7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:33 PM

I unplugged everything but they keyboard, its currently stuck at around 15% on the windows repair disk, wouldn't be surprised if I got the error again soon.

#6 joe5joe7

joe5joe7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:57 PM

I unplugged my hard drives and tried to boot the windows disk, only to have the same problem, I'm really hoping this isn't a problem with the motherboard but its looking like it is :(

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:10 PM

Have you tried a linux disk like Puppy. See if that boots up. Maybe you have a bad install disk or perhaps the Optical drive is bad. You can always try booting via USB using the Puppy iso and Rufus. Not sure if it would help but can you access your BIOS? See if resetting that helps.

Edit. Link to Puppy

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 March 2015 - 08:11 PM.

#8 joe5joe7

joe5joe7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:33 PM

Trying to find a usb drive or blank disc to do that, unfortunately I'm coming up blank I may need to go to the store and pick one up.

I do have access to the bios if you think that would help :/

Edited by joe5joe7, 20 March 2015 - 08:34 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:10 PM

I suggested resetting your BIOS settings to default but I am not sure that would help. Also try powercycling the computer. Remove the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and reboot.

You can get cheap USB flash drives at Staples if you live near one of those. 16GB for $8. If you can get puppy to boot then that would narrow down the problem, You could also boot PartedMagic, another OS based on linux instead of Puppy. This has a Disk Diagnostic on the desktop called Disk Health or Gsmartcontrol. Using that you could determine if the hard drive is failing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users