Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

really dumb question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:28 PM

my most-used PC is also the first time I incorporated liquid cooling into the design. I used mostly EK parts, 3 X GTX 780s hydro classified, and  - for the actual cooling - red EK fluid (the only choice at the time). Here's my question: recently I noticed that the level of coolant in the resevoir looked lower than it used to be. for the first time ever, inspiration struck and i took a sharpie and drew a mark at the water line. I kept checking back (really whenever I remembered... probably a couple times a week or so) for approx. a month. the level went down another ¾ of an inch (or so) in that time. i checked everywhere for a sign of a leak, iinside the PC and out, and found nothing. (the PC in question - btw - is running without a hiccup.) Where is the coolant going????? the only hypothesis i could come up with is that whatever makes the coolant red is separating from the plain water in the coolant and somehow t he red part is condensing.... I don't know. Dumb theory.

Any help?

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:46 PM

Regardless of how closed a water cooled closed loop system is.  Some evaporation will occur in the form of absorption by the relative parts in the system.

No dumb questions .. the answers may sound dumber than the questions.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

It depends on how tightly closed off the reservoir is; steam may be coming off there. Be sure to double zip connections. It could be just simple expansion of the lines.

#4 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:01 PM

my most-used PC is also the first time I incorporated liquid cooling into the design. I used mostly EK parts, 3 X GTX 780s hydro classified, and  - for the actual cooling - red EK fluid (the only choice at the time). Here's my question: recently I noticed that the level of coolant in the resevoir looked lower than it used to be. for the first time ever, inspiration struck and i took a sharpie and drew a mark at the water line. I kept checking back (really whenever I remembered... probably a couple times a week or so) for approx. a month. the level went down another ¾ of an inch (or so) in that time. i checked everywhere for a sign of a leak, iinside the PC and out, and found nothing. (the PC in question - btw - is running without a hiccup.) Where is the coolant going????? the only hypothesis i could come up with is that whatever makes the coolant red is separating from the plain water in the coolant and somehow t he red part is condensing.... I don't know. Dumb theory.

Any help?

Defanged,

Ditto to what YeahBleeping said. 

There's bound to be evaporation that occurs.

Since you have been regularly checking for leaks and you haven't found any, than that leaves evaporation.

If you are worried about running out of fluid... you can always use distilled water to bring it back to the level that you want. 

Since you already have the red dye in it... a bit of distilled water won't dilute the red color that much, but more importantly is keeping that level filled up at it's proper level. (reminds me of checking the oil in your car)

#5 defanged

defanged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:12 AM

thanx guys - - i'll sleep better at night now :)

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users