Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc starts but no beep is heard and no bios image on screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 johnny15

johnny15

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:04 PM

Hello Everyone!
I 've got the following problem, found  a similar one in google but I'm confused and wanted to ask you some questions wink.gif .

One of my customers brought me his computer, it starts, the fans are working but i see nothing on screen and i got no beep sound.
Here are the things I tried:
A) Changed the graphics card with another one, nothing happened, placed the card on my computer and it is working fine.
B)Tried to boot the pc with one ram at the time still nothing happened ( checked all slots)
C) Used the ram from my pc still nothing
D)Changed the psu installed it on my pc works fine, Installed my psu on that computer nothing happened again
E)Booted the pc only with cpu and an ethernet card still nothing happened (not even a beep)
F)Hold the power button for 1 min
G)Reset the motherboard battery
H) Installed the HDD on my pc and heard strange sound like a click ( i guess it's dead)

Something strange is that when i press the button to shutdown the pc, nothing happens i've got to remove the cable to shut it down.
I forgot to mention that we got a bad Electrical grid here with many black outs
I dont' know how to check the cpu,and thinking that the problem is the motherboard
What do you say?

Pc Specs are
PSU seasonic 400W
HDD Seagate Baracuda 500Gb
GPU PowerColor AX3650 512MD2 Radeon HD 3650 512MB
Motherboard ASUS M3A
RAM 2x Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G
Windows unknown
CPU Is amd but i don't know the specific model just saw something like am2 socket on the mainboard.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the length of my post

John wink.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 illestrate

illestrate

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

Seems like either CPU / Mobo issue, if you checked the other components and verified that they work with a known good setup then that's where you'd have to look.  That power button might not be hooked up correctly or maybe broken.  Without a properly working CPU the computer won't even POST it's pretty much once the motherboard is on from its soft power setting the first thing done is the CPU sends out that signal to all the components on the MOBO.  If you have another compatible motherboard that is a way to test the processor if it doesn't work then you know its bad that or having another compatible processor then you know the mobo is bad(process of elimination).  You can physically check the MOBO to see if there's anything physically wrong with it like anything burnt.  I have seen motherboards fail more often then the Processor but either or is definitely a possibility.  The electrical grid problem is a good indicator of why their might be possible failures in a component.

oh yeah if it was worked on before check to see if the standoffs are all properly installed

Edited by illestrate, 23 March 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#3 johnny15

johnny15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:48 AM

Unfortunately I don't have a motherboard with that socket, and can't check the CPU, but i assume that even after removing everything from the motherboard i was going to here a beep or something like this to show me that the motherboard is working. I don't know, i am thinking that i might take my chances and order a new motherboard, do you have anything to suggest?

I am thinking of this http://www.ebay.com/itm/111514555320?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
 because i can't find any cheap am2 socket motherboards..

thanks for your time btw

PS: i  will check if i see any blown or leaking capacitors ;D 

#4 illestrate

illestrate

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:34 AM

asus is a good brand, never used that particular mobo itself but you should look for reviews with people that have used it will provide you with better insight.  

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:28 AM

Any bad component can cause a no post which seems to be what you have going on. It looks like you have gone through most of the diagnostic procedures but I will post my general no post procedures below just in case something more can be done. Also from experience in retail, motherboards fail far more often than cpu's. In fact after ~10 years in retail, I had only seen a handful of failed cpu's and 1000s of bad motherboards...

Make sure you have the computer unplugged from power while removing or moving any hardware...

Try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time (remove all other ram sticks). Move it to the next slot until you have tried that stick in all slots by itself. If you still have no post, try a different stick of ram in each slot by itself. If you have issues with the stick in 1 particular slot (a no post for example) the slot may be bad. It is also possible you have a bad stick of ram instead of the slot being bad, in this case the ram stick should cause the same problem all slots.

You may have a memory controller issue in which case if you have 4 slots, 2 may not work. With intel it should be 2 slots next to each other channel 1 might be slot 0,1 and channel 2 might be 2,3. Trying with 1 stick at a time in all 4 slots is the best way to test everything.

If you never get a stable system with just 1 stick of ram in 1 slot (trying all sticks by themselves) try removing all non-essential hardware to get into bios:

Disconnect pci cards, pci-e cards - except a video card unless you have onboard in which case use the onboard video and pull the video card, hard drives, dvd drives, disconnect all usb headers as well. You should only have the power supply, main board, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the cpu and cpu cooler connected. You can also plug in a monitor and keyboard. Now try to power on the machine. If at this point you have no post screen or video etc, unplug the computer and pull the stick of ram, power back on and listen for a post fault beep code, you will need to hook up a motherboard speaker to hear any post fault code, if this is a laptop it should be built in.

If you get no response next: remove all of the components from the computer case and connect only essential hardware (cpu, motherboard, 1 stick of ram, power supply 24pin and 4pin connectors) outside of the case, place the motherboard on a non-conductive surface, a wooden table will do fine. You can also plug in a monitor and keyboard. Then try to power on again, you can short the power button pins on the motherboard, don't worry this is exactly what the power button does. Just touch a metal item to both power button pins to try to power the mainboard when outside of the computer case.

While you have the computer apart, look for blown or bulging capacitors on the mainboard and video cards etc Examples please report any caps you suspect may be bad, you can take a picture and post here if you are unsure.

Edited by zingo156, 24 March 2015 - 07:31 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 johnny15

johnny15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:02 AM

I had done most of the things you said, did the thing with the power button ( used a screwdriver)  but i didn't see any difference

I have an issue, i could't find a speaker on the motherboard could that be a problem?

but still when i plugged in the GPU nothing happened. 

Here is something i forgot to mention.

I found an article which showed me how to test the cpu, these guys said that you can remove the cooler from the cpu and  start the computer. If the CPU is hot then it's working

Did that thing also  and the cpu was hot so i guess it works.

I don't know what to do anymore.. and a have 2 options: A) I tell the customer to replace the motherboard with a similar one, and B) change the motheboard and buy a new one + RAM + CPU

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:12 AM

A speaker connected to the motherboard (if the motherboard is working) may create a beep code which might point to a piece of hardware connected that has an issue which is preventing post.

I can not verify that cpu testing method. In theory if something is getting voltage and moving electrons it will get hot. That doesn't mean it is working correctly.

Did you try removing the components from the computer case and testing on a non conductive surface? This is sometimes known as the "bench test".

With this issue, it is tough to say what the customer should do. If you want to keep the cost low, you could replace the motherboard with a similar board. If it is not the exact same board, you may have to reload windows.

Since this is an older build and new computers are pretty cheap, a new computer is also an option.

Give the customer all of the options and let them decide.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 johnny15

johnny15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

thanks a lot for your time you were really helpful!

I will do the bench test and reply ;)

#9 johnny15

johnny15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

Still nothing happened after the bench test, and after speaking to the customer we decided to buy a new motherboard!

thanks for all your help, keep up the good work!

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

Happy computing!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users