Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

T1 line at home

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jbell0884

Jbell0884

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

Where I live we have no fiber optic cable. We have been getting our internet from Verizon with an air card for 8 years. It works great. But now with smartphones and tour kids using it, the data we are using is costing a fortune. It's crazy. So, we put in a T1 line a few weeks ago. It hasn't worked right since we put it in. I should not have buffering issues trying to watch videos or a movie, correct? We are getting no help from the company that installed it. They run a test, tell us it's fine and close the ticket. I'm not techie and am not trying to do anything extravagant. We need to be able to watch Youtube videos, play Trivia Crack, search the web and watch tv and movies. We'd like to get rid of Dish Network and do Hulu or something.
So my question is: is it possible that thid really is the best I can expect this T1 line to perform? And, is there any other option besides a T1 line? I realize it's a First World Problem, but it's making me nuts. Thanks in advance for any help and/or ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

Not knowing where you are or what providers are in your area. It's hard to imagine a brand new business grade T1 not performing to your satisfaction. Are you using the same router as before or did the ISP provide that as well?

Did you do a service provider look up to see who competes in the area? Cable grade service could work for your needs as long as the service tier was high enough. DSL probably not.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Jbell0884

Jbell0884
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:02 PM

Cable grade (Uverse) is not an option for us even though they have it a mile away. Grrr. We got a new router when we got the T1 line. We provided that. We are 25 miles outside of Charlotte.
They are now supposedly reopening the ticket, but I feel like they are just giving us the run around.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:42 PM

Did you pre-qualify that your chosen router is T1 compliant on their network? When they test is it a modem loopback test only or through the router to a hardware loop?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 speel

speel

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:31 AM

Keep in mind a T1 line has a limit of 1.5Mbps which is pretty slow for today's needs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users