Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Joystick/gamepad Madness

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Village Baka

Village Baka

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:59 PM

Ok. I'm using a Dell *shudders* that doesn't have any serial ports on it. I've got a few games that I've always been interested in playing using a joystick or a gamepad. Of course, such things tend to use serial ports. So I head out to Radio Shack and grab a serial-to-USB adaptor. However, whenever I try to use any of the devices, it just doesn't work. I try pressing all of the buttons, joysticks, etc and NOTHING works right. It seems to just do what it pleases on a whim.

The adaptor has four modes (wheel, joystick A, joystick B, gamepad) and all of them work differently, but none of them right. What I'd like to know is... how can I fix this? Do serial-to-USB adaptors simply not work? Do I need to modify some system settings? Do the Gods just plain hate me?

An answer would be nice.

Any helpful advice appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Village Baka, 29 June 2006 - 10:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:23 PM

Are joysticks taboo or something? This is the fifth active site I've tried, and no one seems to want to answer me.

#3 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:49 PM

Are joysticks taboo or something? This is the fifth active site I've tried, and no one seems to want to answer me.

First off, CALM DOWN. Sometimes it takes a while for people to respond, for a variety of reasons. For example, we may need more info. I have used controllers in the past, but I need more info:

- Version of Windows? (I assume its Windows)
- Have you added the controllers and calibrated them?
- Does the Serial to USB device need to be installed to work properly, or is it "plug and play?"

Its been a while since I've used a game controller (my laptop has no serial ports, either), but right now, it sounds like you haven't calibrated it.

If you can get it working, let me know. Its annoying playing Final Fantasy VII for PC using the keyboard! :thumbsup:

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:14 PM

lol, actually the keyboard is a more welcoming sight after playing FFVII with a joystick (that was a bad idea to try. . .).

Speaking of which, could any of them have any drivers? My joystick (logitech) has a serial connection and came with a serial-usp connection and I had to get the drivers to use it properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users