Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What exactly is Wuauserv, what exactly is it doing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:21 PM

I know that the service wuauserv (as seen under the services tab in task manager on windows 8) has something to do with windows update but would like to clarify what.
I prefer to keep my update setting at "check automatically but ask me before downloading or installing", so I wish to know whether wuauserv running just means the checking is automatic or whether the fact it is running means the whole updating process has somehow become automatic.
In the past I have run FSS when my computer has been in the update configuration I like and it has said that wuauserv was NOT running, now task manager says wuauserv IS running and FSS.exe no longer reports that it isn't running. Does this mean my update settings have somehoe been changed? Please clarify whether wuauserv should be running (exact settings are: Name:wuauserv, PID:1308, Description: Windows Update, Status: Running, Group:netsvcs) for the type of updating I want.

The following is a copy of what the relevant part of an FSS log looked like in the past
"
Windows Update:
============
wuauserv Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of wuauserv service is set to Demand. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of wuauserv service is OK.
The ServiceDll of wuauserv service is OK.
"

And the following is what that bit looks like now
"
Windows Update:
============
"

Please advise what this change means. Should this service be disabled to go back to the form it was in before? Or are the current settings still ONLY CHECKING automatically and waiting for user approval BEFORE DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING.
Thanks

Edited by rp88, 20 March 2015 - 12:23 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users