Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do Windows 7 Work On Windows 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 LiamiFromMiami

LiamiFromMiami

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

I need some drivers for my asus laptop, I went to the asus website and the only drivers I could find for the problem I have is for windows 7.
Would they still work on my computer?
The drivers are for my keyboard and touchpad.
Edit: sorry that the tittle sounds weird, I messed up typing it.

Edited by LiamiFromMiami, 20 March 2015 - 11:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

Hi LiamiFromMiami :)

Windows Vista to Windows 8.1 (and even Windows 10 at a certain point) drivers are all compatible with each others, unless they are "specialized" and "specific" drivers. You can install drivers from Windows Vista on Windows 7 and so on. If you cannot install the drivers via the executable provided by your manufacturer website, you can always extract the content of that executable using an archiving program like 7zip or WinRAR and then proceed to install the drivers manually from the Device Manager by selecting the Update Drivers option on the device you want to install the drivers for and pick the second option, which is to select manually the drivers location on the system. If you need help with finding and installing drivers for your new Windows 8.1 system, let me know and I'll be happy to help you.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 LiamiFromMiami

LiamiFromMiami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

Hi LiamiFromMiami :)Windows Vista to Windows 8.1 (and even Windows 10 at a certain point) drivers are all compatible with each others, unless they are "specialized" and "specific" drivers. You can install drivers from Windows Vista on Windows 7 and so on. If you cannot install the drivers via the executable provided by your manufacturer website, you can always extract the content of that executable using an archiving program like 7zip or WinRAR and then proceed to install the drivers manually from the Device Manager by selecting the Update Drivers option on the device you want to install the drivers for and pick the second option, which is to select manually the drivers location on the system. If you need help with finding and installing drivers for your new Windows 8.1 system, let me know and I'll be happy to help you.

Just making sure, so these will work http://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/Download/3/516/0/5/iDj76sQprYFuQe5J/30/ (the touchpad and keyboard)
And also to install them. I just uninstall the broken drivers, then download those, and just open them?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

Yes they will work. I've dealt with ASUS computers before, and the trackpad drivers can be installed from Windows Vista to Windows 8.1. Also, you don't even have to uninstall anything. Simply download them and install them, then restart your computer, simple as that :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 LiamiFromMiami

LiamiFromMiami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:47 AM

Yes they will work. I've dealt with ASUS computers before, and the trackpad drivers can be installed from Windows Vista to Windows 8.1. Also, you don't even have to uninstall anything. Simply download them and install them, then restart your computer, simple as that :)

Thank you very much Aura!
I will post back when I am finished telling you how it went.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

No problem Liami, my pleasure :) And that's fine with me, I'll monitor this thread!

unite_blue.png

#7 LiamiFromMiami

LiamiFromMiami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:52 AM

No problem Liami, my pleasure :) And that's fine with me, I'll monitor this thread!

I will probably so it in 30 minuets or so.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:53 AM

I'll still be online so it's good. If you have any "Unknown Devices" listed in your Device Manager and can't find the drivers for them, simply follow the instructions below and I'll help you.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • List Devices - Only Problems;
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png

#9 LiamiFromMiami

LiamiFromMiami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

I'll still be online so it's good. If you have any "Unknown Devices" listed in your Device Manager and can't find the drivers for them, simply follow the instructions below and I'll help you.3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox

• Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

One last, quick question. How long does it take?

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

To reinstall Windows or to run the scan I'm asking you to do?

unite_blue.png

#11 LiamiFromMiami

LiamiFromMiami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:01 PM

I'll still be online so it's good. If you have any "Unknown Devices" listed in your Device Manager and can't find the drivers for them, simply follow the instructions below and I'll help you.3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox

One last, quick question. How long does it take?

To reinstall those 2 drivers I need.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:02 PM

Only a few minutes, really not that long :)

unite_blue.png

#13 LiamiFromMiami

LiamiFromMiami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:10 PM

Only a few minutes, really not that long :)

How long are you going to be on for because I don't wanna keep you waiting.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:13 PM

I'll still be online for another 3 hours so you have more than enough time :) And I don't mind about waiting, don't worry about me.

Edited by Aura., 20 March 2015 - 12:13 PM.

unite_blue.png

#15 LiamiFromMiami

LiamiFromMiami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

I'll still be online for another 3 hours so you have more than enough time :) And I don't mind about waiting, don't worry about me.

This will be done sometime today, in a hour or so or later today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users