Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix nightmare..

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 catman47

catman47

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:27 AM

I have Windows Vista Home Edition 32bit. Earlier this morning as I browsed through the bleeping computer I came upon a few individuals seeking help and one fix was to download Combofix. After reading what the good side of Combofix can do I like an idiot went ahead and downloaded the program.

A short time later a pop-up stating,"warning" you have Microsoft Security Essentials active please disable so Combofix don't scramble your internal functions. My problem is I don't know how to disable security essentials nor will it uninstall. What can I do to get by this nightmare? Combofix won't uninstall

I haven't ran a scan with Combofix yet and I just want to get it out of my computer.

Is there someone out there that can help without scolding me? I feel I will make a mess out of this if left on my own.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:33 AM

Hello there,

I already gave the answer to your question in my latest post here.

To prevent confusion, I have asked a Moderator to close this topic.

Godspeed!

Regards,
Alex

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

Please do not start multiple topics about the same issue.

On second thought, I will leave this one open as it contains more information than your other topic.

The other one will be closed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 March 2015 - 10:40 AM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

Is this related the issue you posted about here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570706/newbie in Am I Infected?

#5 catman47

catman47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:15 AM

no, this Combofix nightmare is a new issue and I apologize for not realizing where to post my questions. Being new is my handicap.

If I can uninstall Combofix I'd be a happy camper but when I tried to uninstall it began to install itself again I had to hit the power button to shut down the computer. I haven't let Combofix do a scan because of the warning that antivirus and antispy programs are running that would be my Microsoft Security Essentials and I still can't find a way to disable them.

Thanks for listening

#6 DBAPaul

DBAPaul

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

when I tried to uninstall it began to install itself again

On some programs uninstalling them shows a dialog box that says installing when it is actually uninstalling.  Not sure about Combofix but I'm sure someone who has used this program can advise.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

Scratch what I just said, there's a procedure to follow to uninstall ComboFix and what it left behind. The instructions can be found in the guide below, at the end, under How to uninstall ComboFix:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Edited by Aura., 20 March 2015 - 11:57 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:20 PM

...Only the BC Staff or members of the Malware Respond Team are permitted to provide such assistant or answer questions related to ComboFix.

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

The correct way to uninstall ComboFix, all of its related folders, files and logs is to make sure it is still on the Desktop (<-Important!!!) and follow these instructions:

To uninstall ComboFix from Windows XP:

Click windows-xp.jpg select Run from the menu and in the open dialog box, type: combofix /uninstall
note that there is a space between combofix and /uninstall
Then click OK or press Enter.
run-box.jpg

To uninstall ComboFix from Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8:

Click windows-7.jpg and in the Search field type combofix /uninstall
note that there is a space between combofix and /uninstall
Then press Enter
windows-7-start-menu.jpg

A Open File security warning will appear asking if you are sure you want to run ComboFix....click on the Run button to start the program.
  • If you encounter any problems using the switch from the Run dialog box or Search field, just rename ComboFix.exe to Uninstall.exe, then double-click on it to remove.
  • This will delete ComboFix's related folders/files, all backups of the files it removed, reset the clock settings, hide file extensions/system files, clear the System Restore cache to prevent possible reinfection and create a new Restore point.
  • When it has finished you will see a dialog box stating that "ComboFix has been uninstalled".
  • After that, you can remove the ComboFix.exe program from your Desktop by right-clicking on it and choosing delete.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 catman47

catman47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

here is where I stand with Combofix. I do not see it in the programs/features, as I recall I did not run this program at any time so it didn't scan my computer although it was waiting for me to click ok. I do notice that it sits in my downloads undisturbed. There is no icon on my desktop nor any indication in the start menu. I am reluctant to click on the file Combofix in my downloads without a helper so I will play this by ear until I get more information. Its as though its dormant. What should I do?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:25 PM

ComboFix is a stand-alone executable and does not install in Programs and Features so there would be no entry in the Start Menu either. The instructions I provided above are for removing (uninstalling) ComboFix after it has been run from the Desktop.

Since you clarified you did not run ComboFix at any time then there is nothing to uninstall. If it is sitting in your downloads folder, just right-click on ComboFix.exe and choose delete...then empty the Recyle bin.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users