Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix clashes with microsoft security essentials

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 catman47

catman47

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:02 AM

Help, earlier I downloaded Combofix without knowing I'd have a problem with Microsoft Security Essentials. I have a pop-up warning me that if I don't disable security essentials while Combofix is running I can be in big trouble. Can anyone elaborate the meaning of this and how can I disable security essentials while Combofix is running?

I have Windows Vista 32bit system.

Any direction will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 March 2015 - 10:06 AM.
moved from Vista to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:06 AM

Hi catman47 :)

ComboFix is a very powerful tool used mostly for malware removal. Due to the nature of it's abilities and also the way it have to be used, ComboFix shouldn't be used if:
  • You aren't supervised by a trained malware removal professional and under his instructions;
  • You aren't a trained malware removal professional;
If you ever need assistance for malware removal, you should post a thread in the malware removal section after following the instructions in the preparation guide. But under no circumstances you should use ComboFix on your own and unless it's needed for malware removal (implying you have a thread open for malware removal here), BleepingComputer won't assist you in using ComboFix on your own.

For more information on that tool, I suggest you to read quietman's FAQ on it here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:21 AM

Hello there,

As Aura said, ComboFix is not meant to be ran without supervision from a member of the Malware Response Team.

If you suspect a malware problem, please seek assistance in here: Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

Please do not start multiple topics about the same issue.

You also posted about the same thing here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570738/combofix-nightmare/
Because that topic contains more information than this one, I am closing this topic.

All discussion will continue in your other topic.

Mod Edit by quietman7: And that topic has been moved to this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users