Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to wipe personal data from Hard drive wo deleting windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Marinna1

Marinna1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:34 AM

Im told a program called recuva can wipe the files. and ccleaner can wipe free space. is their something else I should be doing or using to remove personal data from the hard drive?

i've heard of dban but its a little complicated and I really dont want to remove windows and have to reinstall it. any tips are appreciated.
f.png

Edited by hamluis, 20 March 2015 - 09:55 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:15 AM

Yes, CCleaner can overwrite the free space. Once is enough. If there are files that you want to overwrite you can send them to the Recycle Bin and then

allow CCleaner to overwrite them while cleaning out the Recycle Bin.

Keep in mind that ISPs, phone companies, search engines and websites have stored information, too.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:39 AM

There is also a free utility, called Eraser, that will shred your files such that they cannot be recovered, ... well at least by ordinary folks.  Don't know what NSA could do ... ?

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

Shred files and wipe disks | BleachBit  (I've used BleachBit for several years in both Windows and Linux)

QUOTE: Normally when software deletes a file, only the "metadata" is erased: that means the complete contents can often easily be recovered, so BleachBit (and similar applications) offer secure erase features (also called secure wipe or file shredding) to permanently remove data. Some applications even advertise "advanced" erasure methods referencing important names in security such as Gutmann, the United States Department of Defense, and the NSA, but these references often mislead people to waste time on snake oil technological remedies while ignoring important basics. Any product or method suggesting a convenient, comprehensive solution to security is deceptive: convenience and security oppose each other. This guide will explain how 1 pass is enough, but 35 passes are not enough. Regardless of the tools you use, please read this guide carefully and completely.

Myths and legends

Most of the confusion regarding the topic of data remanence (data left behind after it is deleted) is because of myths and urban legends. Before discussing what is true, let's preview what is not:

• False: Data on a hard drive overwritten by one pass can be recovered by powerful government agencies
  • False: Overwritting data with multiple passes makes it harder to recover than overwritting it with a single pass.
  • False: Peter Gutmann thinks data should be overwritten with 35 passes to prevent recovery.
  • False: Peter Gutmann's paper applies to modern hard drives ("modern" meaning manufactured after the year 2000 or so).
  • False: There are methods approved by the DOD (5220.22-M), NSA, and Gutmann to shred files.
  • False: The United States Department of Defense approves of overwriting (of a whole hard drive) as a data sanitation method.

Anyone that doubts one pass is enough, click on the link above for much more info.

Edited by buddy215, 20 March 2015 - 11:09 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:30 AM

Buddy, I'm going to do the OnePass, is ccleaner the best tool for wiping free space?  And, should that be done in Safe Mode?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:23 AM

Cleaning the free space is a time consuming task. I'm sure there is some risk....not sure of how much...involved.

I will not recommend any program over another.

I would only consider overwriting the free space if the computer was leaving my possession and for whatever reason didn't want to reformat and reinstall OS.

I would suggest defragmenting before overwriting free space on a disk drive....not an SSD.

I would think it best to run the defragmenter and overwrite in safe mode.

Edited by buddy215, 20 March 2015 - 10:24 AM.

#7 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:49 AM

How to Securely Overwrite Free Space in Windows.

Note: This will work on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

http://www.howtogeek.com/137108/how-securely-overwrite-free-space-in-windows/

Forensics: Deleting and Wiping Data

https://whereismydata.wordpress.com/2009/02/06/deleting-and-wiping-data/

Edited by mainer21, 20 March 2015 - 10:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users