Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC hangs on normal login, logs in in safe mode - Win 7 Pro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DennisLee

DennisLee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:12 AM

Started 3 - 4 days ago, PC will boot in normal mode and allow me to enter password to logon, sometimes makes it to desktop and shows taskbar but then hangs, other times just hangs directly after accepting password.  PC will boot in safe mode with internet.

PC is DELL Optimax 760 running Windows 7 Pro SP 1.  Installation is fairly current as far as Microsoft patches.  I originally thought it has something to do with the last batch of Microsoft patches, but I've restored by twice, back to last restore point, and then to restore point before that.  I'm running Kaspersky 2014, I added new subscription codes 3/10 (same day prior codes expired) so should have been up to date. After trying restores didn't resolve problem, I downloaded and ran AntiMalwareBytes free version and SuperAntiSpyware free version and ran them.  Nothing was detected other than a bunch of tracking cookies.  When I look at the sys logs, I see errors about Computer Browser service failing and also DCOM error "1084".

Any assistance someone could give would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

Welcome aboard p22002758.gif

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista/7), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista/7).
Windows 8/8.1 users. Press Windows logo key aa922834-ed43-40f1-8830-d5507badb56c_91. and start typing the following:
msconfig
Press Enter.

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 DennisLee

DennisLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:06 PM

I was able to boot into normal mode after following your instructions.  I tested Chrome and Firefox, and opened word and printed a page on my wireless printer.  

Thanks!

What next?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:11 PM

That was for testing purposes only.

It means that some of your startups(s) or service(s) is causing issue.

Go back to "msconfig" and start re-enabling startups and services you just disabled but only one by one until you find the culprit.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 DennisLee

DennisLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:24 AM

I've been through the Services and I'm working on the Startups.  I'm checking them against the list on bleepingComputer to determine if I really need to re-enable them.  I am assuming from your directions that I probably don't have some kind of virus or root kit I'm fighting.

I am somewhat discomfitted by the fact that the Kaspersky Service would not allow itself to be enabled.  I tried to go into Services in Computer Management and enable it there, but it said access was denied.  I have to upgrade to Internet Security 2015 anyway, so if it will allow me to uninstall I guess I'll be OK but it is a little spooky.

The other services I enabled all dropped into Manual start.  Is there a way to tell if any of them should be set to Auto, or Auto w/ delay start?

Thanks for your help, I'll repost when I've completed the startup list.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:59 PM

Whatever services you had running before they were most likely set to Auto so you should leave them that way.

For more info: http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 DennisLee

DennisLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:52 PM

Update:

1. Turns out, if you disable Kaspersky in Safe Mode, you need to go back into Safe Mode to enable it.

2.  Apparently Kaspsersky was the problem, as soon as I got it enabled, the problem recurred.  I uninstalled it and installed Kaspersky 15, seems to be working OK so far.  I still need to finish the Startup list but so far so good!

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

Cool beans :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users