Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 connor7555

connor7555

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:14 PM

I need to replace the motherboard on one of my computers. How do I know if the replacement will work? I have matched up the 478 pins for the celeron processor. The power supply connections are the same. The holes for the mounting screws are in the same place. The size is the same.

What else do I need to consider? Is there a risk in damaging other parts if an incompatible motherboard is installed?

Computer = HP Pavilion 522n
Operating System = Windows XP
Browser = Mozilla Firefox
Anti-Virus = AVG 7.1
Comcast High Speed Internet

Edited by connor7555, 29 June 2006 - 09:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:18 AM

You also need to find out if your RAM and your video adapter will fit the new motherboard.

The hard drives, optical drives and floppy will work fine.

#3 connor7555

connor7555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for your help.

The RAM is 184 Pin DIMM, which is the same. I don't think this computer has a video adapter, but the sound card looks like it fits. Am I in the clear?

Edited by connor7555, 30 June 2006 - 12:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users