Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moved win 7 system from Domain to Workgroup and can't log in

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 David4321

David4321

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:50 PM

I just left my old domain (server was retired some time ago) on my Windows 7 laptop, and created a workgroup to move it into. I was using domain administrator account and password consistently on this machine, and when I did this. I was prompted for Administrator account name and password before windows would make this change, so I thought everything would be ok. Password succeeded.

Now system boots to login page displaying icon and existing name for the computer. (computer was named before joining domain long ago). No other icons are available, no link to log into other accounts, and no password entry field is present (I didn't initially create a password for new workgroup). When I click icon, "welcome" appears briefly, then "logging off", then I am taken back to same login screen. Shutdown options appear in lower right, but only include shut down, hibernate, sleep, and restart; no option for log off or change user.

F8 > Last known good config yields same result. I can log in on safe mode, but windows explorer is not present in start menu or task bar, and start menu left (main) panel is featureless above all programs. Control panel and standard options appear in start menu right panel. I can start explorer from search field, and full directory structure in accessible. Computer named account is shown to be administrator type. I have option available to create a password, but don't want to make things worse.

I want to be able to log onto this account on computer normally, without reinstalling windows. This is my only objective at this time. I don't actually need to be in a workgroup, but that seemed the only way to leave domain. My purpose in leaving domain was so I could create a homegroup to connect with virtualized windows 7 on my linux desktop system, and to avoid other annoyances that have come up with being in domain.

Guidance please? Thanks in advance...

Edited by David4321, 19 March 2015 - 09:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 simALITY

simALITY

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:48 AM

I'm on a tablet. Please forgive any typos.

Try this:
Boot the computer into safemode.

Open a command prompt.

Run the following command: net user administrator /active:yes

you may be asked for a password (edit: the admin password). You may also be told that access is denied, but hopefully you will be told that the command was successful. in which case you will have reactivated the admin account.

Reboot.

If all goes well you will now have the option to log into the administrator account.

Edited by wannabeanerd, 20 March 2015 - 04:50 AM.

#3 David4321

David4321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the response. I was able to log on to new account from safe mode, create new administrator account, and move all files there. Then deleted all other accounts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users