Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Boot At All

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gent

Gent

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:05 PM

When I try to turn on the computer, all that happens is the 2 cd drives that I have and the hard drive lights go on and stay on. Nothing else happens. They just stay on. I tried turning off the swith and turning back on but still the same thing happens no matter how many times I try to do this. I am using 2000 pro. Can any one please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:44 AM

Have you added any hardware lately? It soulds like you have the drives jumpered alike.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Gent

Gent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:26 AM

I haven't added anything. All I did was shut the computer off. When I turned it back on the next day is when the problem occurred. I don't know what happened or what I should do. Thanks for the reply.

#4 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:52 PM

Do you get any beeps from POST?

What displays on the monitor?
Posted Image

#5 Gent

Gent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:26 PM

Nothing displays on the monitor. All I get when I turn it on is the 2 CD drive lights light up as if they are running and the red hd drive light is lit. It doesn't even try to access the floppy drive.

#6 Smokie2401

Smokie2401

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:38 AM

Hi there,

I've had this happen to me on a couple of occasions and both times it was a problem with the graphics card. Solved simply by opening the case and reseating the card (don't forget antistatic kit!!) If the computer doesn't detect a graphics card at startup, it seems to simply halt the boot process (I guess it figures if it can't display anything. there's not a lot of point in continuing). You should also hear a number of beeps from the system speaker. These are actually an error report indicating the problem. There should be an index of them with either your motherboard or BIOS documentation.

Hope this helps

Smokie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users