Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crypto Folder in Microsoft Folder

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joe_pau

joe_pau

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:15 PM

I found a folder labeled "Crypto" through windows explorer in the c:\Microsoft folder in Vista. Is this the ransom ware or something else. The computer is currently not effected by it. Is it laying in wait? Appreciate the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:16 PM

There's no "C:\Microsoft" folder. Maybe you mean C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto? If so, that Crypto folder is totally legitimate. There's a few "Crypto" folders around Windows and they are required for the well being on your system as they are related to your certificates, so I suggest you to leave them be.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:48 PM

Hello,

Is the path you posted correct? C:\microsoft\Crypto?  

A legitimate folder is located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto.

As far as I know 'ransomware' doesn't wait. Last year, both my niece and a friend's laptops locked up without warning, and the "FBI" wanted $175 to allow them internet access again!  :hysterical: . I managed to get them online again, but it took some effort. (I actually know someone who paid..and it DID work!) 

If the path is right, and you aren't having any issues, it could be a program that created the folder. I looked and haven't found one that would put it there yet, though. If it IS a malware issue, you would want to post at... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do rather than in the Vista forum. If you are asked to run 'hijackthis' or some other malware log, BC wants you to post them here...http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:50 PM

Oh and on top of what Mark said, no Cryptowares actually create a folder called "Crypto" so I wouldn't worry about that. It would be way too obvious that way. Usually, the Cryptoware drops a main executable that encrypt the files, and once done, it deletes itself and move on to display the ransom note.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:55 PM

Ransomware infections are created to alert victims that their data has been encrypted and demand a ransom payment.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users