Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo IdeaCentre Win 8.1 random shutdown & slow processing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MM_IT_2

MM_IT_2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

I had been trying to speed up my computer and read articles and forums on removing start up items. Everything went good, no issues.  Computer still starting up slow and taking it's sweet time on processing tasks.  Random issues with WIFI connectivity. Telling me WIFI drive not connected, printer not connected....etc.  Just got new NETGEAR Nighthawk x4 smart wifi router model R7500 and the NetGear Genie....my wifi is not the problem. Strong signal in all rooms and even outside house, but computer randomly not connected. Then yesterday, random shut-downs when I am not near my computer?  I walked away for a few hours, had open QuickBooks, internet explorer search, OpenOffice and email.  When I came back everything was shut down and programs had errors, so something is forcing a shutdown.  Backup says drive is not connected and it backed up to the desktop.  Not sure where to begin trying to figure out what is making the computer shutdown. Right now I am planning the precaution of making sure I close items before walking away from computer.  I usually just put it to sleep and then come back and pick up where I left off. I make sure to shut down at least once a week for a back up on Fridays, which is when I scheduled it.  Thanks for your help :)

Problems Summary:

1) Random shut-downs (has happened 3 times - in last 2 days)

2) Wifi Connectivity issues

3) slow processing & start-up

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

Welcome,

I guess the best place to start is; what is your installed security program, is it current and have you run any scans?

Have you reviewed your Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features to see if you have any uninvited guests? 

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 MM_IT_2

MM_IT_2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

I use Avast! and then run superantispyware 1-2 times/week. I have reviewed my programs - the only one that looks unfamiliar to me is something called OpenAL with no publisher name....but it says applications dependent upon it and it was installed the same date as INTEL /Realtek/SugarSync and Microsoft Visual C++ which was at manufacturer. My first installation on computer was SuperAntispyware program on 7/2/14. I don't really have a lot of programs installed.  Newest installs on 3/13 and 3/19/15 were: update to Mozilla browser, my new NETGEAR router Genie, and Epson printer. Any other suggestions :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users