Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive problems, ran CHKDSK, how bad is it? (CHKDSK log inside)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Arrow92

Arrow92

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

Good day,

My computer started giving some trouble about 3 days ago. I run on a Windows 8 pro, AMD A4-5300 APU and 4GB of RAM. It would boot up with the words, ""reboot and select proper boot device... press any key" or "No bootable device --- insert boot disk and press any key", I can't quite remember which.

Anyways, I ran a CHKDSK and a Windows Memory Diagnostic, as per an article I read. The latter came up clean, but the CHKDSK did find some bad sectors.

Now, my concern is whether these are critical problems and whether I would need to replace my hard drive in the near future. I'm especially concerned if by hard drive would just suddenly fail.

Here's the CHKDSK log:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is System.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
  213248 file records processed.                                          File verification completed.
  2311 large file records processed.                                      0 bad file records processed.                                      
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
Unable to locate the file name attribute of index entry VBOXSV~1.1
of index $I30 with parent 0x14c85 in file 0x65f2.
Deleting index entry VBOXSV~1.1 in index $I30 of file 85125.
  280162 index entries processed.                                         Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is scanning unindexed files for reconnect to their original directory.
  1 unindexed files scanned.                                         CHKDSK is recovering remaining unindexed files.
  1 unindexed files recovered.                                       
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
Cleaning up 1337 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1337 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1337 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  33458 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x2dca46000 for 0x10000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x2dca46000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 47
of name \hiberfil.sys.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 25702
of name \PROGRA~3\MICROS~1\Windows\WER\REPORT~1\APPCRA~4.EXE\Report.wer.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x1007d34000 for 0x10000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x1007d43000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x1008034000 for 0x10000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x1008035000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x1009436000 for 0x10000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x1009441000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x1009442000 for 0x10000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x1009442000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 26466
of name \Windows\MEMORY.DMP.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 53426
of name \Windows\WinSxS\AM7F7F~1.163\tctree.dat.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 189416
of name \Windows\WinSxS\Backup\WOW64_~3.DLL.
  213232 files processed.                                                 File data verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
  42965916 free clusters processed.                                         Free space verification is complete.
Adding 9 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required.

244950015 KB total disk space.
  72683504 KB in 164615 files.
    113192 KB in 33460 indexes.
        36 KB in bad sectors.
    289631 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 171863652 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  61237503 total allocation units on disk.
  42965913 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 41 03 00 c5 05 03 00 f8 91 05 00 00 00 00 00  .A..............
6c 06 00 00 2b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  l...+...........
00 00 5e aa 6e 00 00 00 01 02 00 00 00 00 00 00  ..^.n...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Do let me know what you think. Thanks for your time!

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:21 PM

I would backup al of y important data and get a new hard drive soon.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

Just because chkdsk found some bad clusters does not mean the drive is about to fail.  It IS a good indicator of possible failure.  I would run the hard drive manufacturers diagnostic tools to be sure.  Do you know what kind of hard drive you have?  If not you can download speccy and post the link to the screenshot we can direct you to the site to download their diagnostic tools.

How To Speccy

#4 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:18 PM

Dick, I'm backing up my files just in case. Thanks for the tip.

YeahBleeping,

Here's the screenshot as requested:http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HUsEZf4qtgKkPT1vr80r0sL

The external Transcend hard drive is not usually plugged in, I'm just backing up files at the moment.

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:46 AM

YeahBleeping,

Agreed. Safety first, get a current backup THEN do further testing to determine if the drive is failing or there are other problems. If the drive fails during testing all is not lost

Dick

Dick E

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

Hello Totally agree safety first by backing up your system.  It does appear that you do have some bad sectors on your drive.  I would go ahead and download Western digitals diagnostic software and run a quick test to see what their tools say.

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:42 PM

What he said !

Dick E

#8 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:26 PM

Hi YeahBleeping and dicke,

Before I could check back on this post yesterday, my computer started to really go haywire. I wasn't able to even enter into windows, as it would just freeze at the boot up screen. So, I brought my PC to a nearby computer shop.

It turns out that my hardware and software are all completely fine. I was told that in all probability, it is a problem with the electrical supply from my wall socket. Hence, as suggested by the staff there, I bought a voltage regulator and it worked like a charm!

My PC is running absolutely fine now. Either way, thanks very much for the help!

#9 Mu7eD

Mu7eD

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:52 AM

I would still run the western digital tools, just to check for any damage.

A voltage regulator? or do you mean a UPS?

I would also run a series of benchmarks and Prime95 the machine to test for any damage. The PSU should have protected you, but due to the nature of the PC failing I am suspicious it didn't. If it is one of the cheap chinese ones I would replace it with a major brand PSU. You will thank yourself in the long run. Stressing the machine will also tell you just how bad the PSU is, any crashes and you know to change it. Run SpeedFan while testing and have it log all the data. If any of the rails 12v,5v,3,3v and your CPU voltage vary by more than 10% then it is also an indication that it is dead.

Something like 80% of PC issues are corrected by switching out a faulty PSU. The fact it needs a regulator makes me think you may have this. A 220v PSU must accept betweem 200v to 240v. This is a 10% variant each each. It clearly is no longer doing this.

Adam

#10 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:09 AM

Hey Adam,

The proper term for what I referred to is an, "Automatic Voltage Regulator". It looks something like this http://76.my/UserImages/Items/TB220/158/233/158233078.jpg

Yes, I do think I will do as you suggested and run the diagnostic tools. For unfortunately, even after using the regulator as suggested by my local computer shop, the same problem is recurring. It worked beautifully for about an hour at first, after which I left the computer on and went out for a while. After coming back two hours later, I turn on the screen and see the same error message, "reboot and select proper boot device... press any key".

I called them and they then suggested plugging it in to a different power socket in another room. I am trying that as we speak. Will leave it on for about two hours and see what happens.

"I would also run a series of benchmarks and Prime95 the machine to test for any damage... Stressing the machine will also tell you just how bad the PSU is, any crashes and you know to change it. Run SpeedFan while testing and have it log all the data. If any of the rails 12v,5v,3,3v and your CPU voltage vary by more than 10% then it is also an indication that it is dead."

I'm a bit unsure about how to go about carrying out your suggestions above. Would you mind referring me to any relevant guides I can follow?

Thanks for your time.

#11 Mu7eD

Mu7eD

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:41 AM

Your local PC shop sounds very incompetent. If you understand house electronics changing plugs will do very little. A house is wired in parallel, essentially this designs out voltage and current droops. The socket will either work or not work. They have based their answer on ADSL phone technology which is affected by wiring, bad wiring creates noise.

SpeedFan is available here:- http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php - It is well used within the IT and gaming community and supports all modern devices.

A tutorial on how to stress your computer is here :

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2028882/keep-it-stable-stupid-how-to-stress-test-your-pc-hardware.html

I live in Thailand, Koh Tao, a small island. The power here is very bad. My girlfriends hair dryer does not blow at full speed, nor do her apple devices charge properly. I have had no issues with my PC, which is an i7 with GTX 970 and a power hungry beast. It has been as stable as German cars. My PSU is a Corsair RM750 and seems very tolerant. 

If your PC has been working fine before this, then it adds to the suggestion that the PSU is on the way out.

Once you have the speedfan log, if you post it here I will interpret the data for you. 

Edited by Mu7eD, 21 March 2015 - 02:43 AM.

#12 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

Here's the results from the WD diagnostics:

Test Option: QUICK TEST Model Number: WDC WD5000AAKX-00ERMA0 Unit Serial Number: WD-WCC2EFF37571 Firmware Number: 15.01H15 Capacity: 500.11 GB SMART Status: PASS Test Result: PASS Test Time: 23:01:27, March 21, 2015

Edited by Arrow92, 21 March 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#13 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:29 AM

Here's some other info: 

Scanning SMBus at $0B00...
Decoding DIMM #2
 Memory type is DDR3
 DIMM type is UDIMM
 Size is 4096 MBytes
 Speed is DDR3-1600
 Supported DRAM voltages are 1.50 V
 Data ECC is not supported
 Module Manufacturer is Corsair
 Part number is CMV4GX3M1B1600C11
 Timings : 800 MHz 11.0-11-11-30

Also, how do I log data in SpeedFan? I've been trying to figure it out and all I managed to get was where to look for the logs... Haha.

Edited by Arrow92, 21 March 2015 - 10:44 AM.

#14 Mu7eD

Mu7eD

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:04 AM

Hi,

To log with speed fan.

Open speedfan as Admin. Right click it "Run as Admin"

Readings tab --- >  Configure ----> Log tab, Click enabled. Leave settings on default. Click OK

In the main speedfan window go to Charts tab.

I personally would record temperature and voltages. Click all the boxes.

The log will be in the speedfan directory. It should appear as a CSV. 

#15 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:59 AM

Hey Adam,

My computer started to become very difficult to use and seeing as how I paid for the shop to fix it, and it wasn't, I took it back. They checked it out more thoroughly and it turns out a part of the PSU was damaged. They fixed it and it's alright now. Will use it and see what happens.

Thanks for your help!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users