Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protect ask from TeslaCrypt

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Tottem

Tottem

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:33 PM

Hi!

I made this post because i'm so scared that my computer will get affected by the TeslaCrypt virus. I would like to ask you guys to tell me what is the best program what could protect my computer from that virus?
What should i avoid if i don't want to get that virus?

Thanks for the time, any help is greatly appreciated :)

Edited by Orange Blossom, 19 March 2015 - 10:06 PM.
Moved from Windows 8 to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:55 PM

Tottem, no need to get scared about all the new ransomware. Bleeping Computer provides that information to alert you about it, but not to scare you. All you need is a solid antivirus (Bitdefender and Webroot are good choices). Also stay off shady sites like Hacking Sites, Cracking Sites, etc. Remember don't download anything you are not sure of. And if you want to help prevent all ransomware, make sure to back up your files frequently, online or on an external hard drive. Do that and you will be safe. Hope this helps,

-Benjamin

#3 Tottem

Tottem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:09 PM

Thank you for the answer, Sir! But i have some questions.

I have found this one on this website http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/emsisoft-antimalware/ . Is this good for me?
From where can i get a safe Webroot?

Edited by Tottem, 19 March 2015 - 08:09 PM.

#4 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:18 PM

Hi Tottem,

You don't need to PM me unless I haven't responded within 24 hours, I usually try to respond ASAP but you never know. Now, to answer your questions:

1. I am not familiar with Emsisoft Antimalware but it has good ratings and I am sure it would be fine as your antivirus, however I have a few recommendations for antiviruses.

2. Bitdefender Total Security. Bitdefender Total Security is a top-rated antivirus on multiple websites including CNet and PCMag. Alternatively you can use their free antivirus as well which works quite well in blocking most malware before it even gets on your computer. I have had very good success with it.

3. Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus. To answer your other question, Webroot is an antivirus. It is another antivirus I would strongly recommend, as it has good ratings and it is very good at blocking malware in your browser and on your computer.

I am here if you have any more questions. Please let me know what Antivirus you end up choosing. Hope it helps,

-Benjamin

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:36 PM

Hi Tottem :)

The truth is that most Antivirus will hardly protect you from Cryptowares, you'll need more specialized programs to protect your system against them, on top of good browsing habits/practices. Emsisoft products however are one of the only Antivirus products that actually offers protection against Cryptoware, so investing in Emsisoft Anti-Malware would be a really good idea for you and I strongly recommend it. Emsisoft asides, there's two other products that could help you protect your system against Cryptowares.

The first program would be CryptoPrevent, by Foolibleep. CryptoPrevent was created after Lawrence Abrams (Grinler, the creator and owner of BleepingComputer) idea of using local GPOs (Group Policy Objects) and Registry edits to protect a system against Cryptoware by preventing them to be executed in the first place. This program applies all these rules automatically and remove them in a matter of a few clicks. Note that newer variants of Cryptoware can only be stopped via the Maximum Protection + Program Filtering (BETA) setting that is in BETA so you could get a few issues by using it. However, disabling that option or setting it a level lower should solve these eventual issues if you were to encounter them.

The other program is HitmanPro.Alert. HMP.A offers protection based on behavior blocking, mostly via file and process monitoring. If HMP.A detects an active Cryptoware stub, it'll stop the encrypting process. However, this doesn't kill the process nor remove the malicious file since it injects a process in a legitimate one so you'll have to remove it by yourself (or with the assistance of helpers at BleepingComputer).

In conclusion, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Cryptoprevent and HitmanPro.Alert all offers viable solutions to protect your system against Cryptoware. And since most of them are delivered via Exploit Kits (EK) in the web browsers, using Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit to protect your web browsers and blocking scripts via NoScript (Mozilla Firefox), ScriptSafe (Google Chrome) or NoScript (Symantec) would also be a really good idea.

If you have any questions, let me know :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

Are you a relatively new computer user?  Your questions make me think you are.  In my opinion, there's no need to be as afraid of viruses and other malware as lots of people seem to be.  I've been using the internet since 1996, both at home and work,  and have never, not even once, been infected with anything.  Should you have an antivirus?  Absolutely - I do.  But smart surfing habits are required or no program in existence will protect you from what's out there.

Edited by md2lgyk, 19 March 2015 - 09:50 PM.

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:28 AM

For information on how to protect yourself against ransomware: The ascension of Crypto-Ransomware and what you need to know to protect yourself

I have found this one on this website http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/emsisoft-antimalware/ . Is this good for me?

Excellent choice - Emsisoft Anti-Malware is both an AV and AM solution, and a good one at that. What's more, you can run it alongside another AV of your own and gain extra protection.

And as Aura stated above, Emsisoft's Behavior Blocker technology will stop crypto ransomware before they have the chance to encrypt your data :)

Are you a relatively new computer user?  Your questions make me think you are.  In my opinion, there's no need to be as afraid of viruses and other malware as lots of people seem to be.  I've been using the internet since 1996, both at home and work,  and have never, not even once, been infected with anything.  Should you have an antivirus?  Absolutely - I do.  But smart surfing habits are required or no program in existence will protect you from what's out there.

Please do not think lightly of crypto ransomware - if the CryptoLocker campaign had shown anything, it's that they (crypto ransomware) are here to stay and make money from us users.

Safe surfing habits are necessary yes, but cybercriminals are trying to outwit us all the time (planting exploit kits with ransomware in legit sites for example) so it's only normal to be a little cautious about malware in general.

That's why AVs, AMs and utilities like Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, CryptoPrevent, HitmanPro.Alert are created... to cover us in places where common sense cannot.

#8 Tottem

Tottem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:42 AM

Thank you guys for every answers :)

I'm not a new computer user, I just simply scared of that TeslaCrypt.

As i saw, the most of you recommended Emsisoft Anti-Malware for me. Would it be a problem if I download more than one and will have more security programs at the same time?

Edited by Tottem, 20 March 2015 - 04:43 AM.

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:52 AM

Hello there,

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a special case - although it features both antivirus (AV) and antimalware (AM) capabilities, it is perfectly compatible alongside other AVs and AMs. A lot of users here use Emsisoft Anti-Malware alongside various other AVs, both free and paid. Of course it can be run solo, no problems.

(see quietman7's comment here)

#10 Tottem

Tottem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:11 AM

So I don't need the other ones, right? Just the Emsisoft Anti-Malware from this site.

Edited by Tottem, 20 March 2015 - 05:16 AM.

#11 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:17 AM

I do recommend that you use MBAE, NoScript and CryptoPrevent with EAM though - they are lightweight apps that will grant additional protection against crypto-ransomware.

Remember that you will need to pay for Emsisoft Anti-Malware if you wish to continue using its full functionality (which includes real-time protection) after the trial expires.

Also which browser are you using? If you would be kind and tell us, we can add a couple of things to reinforce your browser.

#12 Tottem

Tottem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:24 AM

Also which browser are you using? If you would be kind and tell us, we can add a couple of things to reinforce your browser.

I use Mozilla Firefox

#13 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:28 AM

If Firefox is your browser of choice... then I have several recommendations to enhance your browser security:

- Remove Java, Flash and Silverlight if you do not use them.

- Adblock Plus for Firefox: This will keep ads out of your surfing, and also reduces the chance that attackers will use malicious ads to infect your machine.

- NoScript for Firefox: This will allow you to block malicious scripts while allowing legit ones. It can take a while to learn which ones to allow or block, but once you got the hang of it then it becomes a very effective tool.

- Web of Trust: Gives you a general idea of what is good and bad via community feedback. Take it with a grain of salt however, as it is not always accurate. The addon is available to both browsers.

Finally, you can use Secunia Personal Software Inspector in keeping your programs up-to-date.

Edited by Alexstrasza, 20 March 2015 - 05:28 AM.

#14 Tottem

Tottem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:34 AM

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/150320/addons_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Mindig aktiválja - Always activate
Rákérdezés az aktiválásra - Ask if i want to activate
Soha ne aktiválja - Never activate

This is how my addons look like

Edited by Tottem, 20 March 2015 - 05:36 AM.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:35 AM

Remove Java, Flash and Silverlight if you do not use them.

If you do use these plugins, you can set them to run On demand only for a better security. This way, if you get across a page that requires you to enable a certain plugin and it's not needed in your opinion, you'll know that maybe something fishy is going on and you should exit that website/webpage.

It seems like you're running an outdated version of Java. If I were you, I would uninstall it right away.

Edited by Aura., 20 March 2015 - 05:36 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users