Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 2010 Mail merge issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hedera

hedera

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:22 PM

Microsoft no longer providing online forums for support (as far as I can tell), I'll ask here because I can't think of anywhere else.  I have a Win7 Pro 64 bit desktop running Office 2010 Professional.  Today I needed to do a mail merge, letters and envelopes, in Word 2010.  This was the first time I ever tried that.  My data was in an Excel 2010 spreadsheet.

The letters printed beautifully.  When I tried to print the envelopes, the first thing it gave me was a little printer configuration window.  In the window, I had to change the way the printer handles envelopes, because my elderly HP Photosmart C7280 printer doesn't handle them the way Word thinks envelopes should be handled.  Having changed that, I clicked on the OK and immediately got this error:

In order to apply the selected envelope options, Word must delete the current contents of "<filename>."  Any unsaved changes to this document will be lost.

I couldn't get away from that, so I clicked "OK" and my mail merge document vanished, leaving only headers and footers.  There was nothing to print envelopes from.  I could not make it work. Does anyone have a solution for this??  Has anyone ever seen it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:02 PM

Mail merge in Word can be a bit fiddly and the details keep changing between versions but it generally works - eventually.

The only suggestion I can think of is, when you come to the 'create new document' bit in the merge, you go into 'File - Page set-up' and set the template envelope to match the printer's settings rather than leaving it until you press 'Merge' or 'Print'.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for the response, I'll try to remember that next time - if there is a next time.  But by the time I tried to do the envelopes I was way past that.  I eventually got someone who was already set up for MailMerge to do the envelopes for me.

#4 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:48 PM

Actually, I've now solved the problem, which was two-fold.  The first issue was that the letter I needed to mailmerge and print was set up on someone else's PC, using their printer settings, which were different from mine.  This didn't matter for printing the letter, but it screwed up the envelopes.  The second issue was that I didn't realize that I don't need the letter open to print out the envelopes - I only need the data file open.  I opened a fresh word document, opened the data file, and was able to print a test envelope without any errors.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:46 PM

There is no limit with regard to the number of ways it is possible to screw up !

I'm glad you worked out the solution, and thanks for telling us.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users