Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ways to aviod malwre on Linux

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

So about a week ago I let someone use my Linux Mint from a standard guest account and she accidentally went on a malicious shopping site but fortunately had NoScript,Request Policy and Bluhell Firewall installed in Firefox I have other security features enabled as well on my system but what security options do you use? Apparmor? Firejail? Please share your experience and insight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

I use NoScript and Adblock Plus, and ufw on the default settings. I also have F-Prot installed to Puppy on a USB stick although I rarely use it, and when I do it's usually to scan my Windows partition - which I also rarely use.

What other security features do you have?

Edited by Al1000, 19 March 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

Apparmor, GUFW set to block incoming traffic, CLAMTK, Bleachbit (for clearing temp files) and Click & Clean and Free Memory FF add-ons. I also heard Firejail is a pretty secure Linux sandbox but I haven't tried it yet.

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:38 AM

CLAMTK, Bleachbit

This reminds me, these come installed on LXLE, although I've only used ClamTK once just for fun and I've never used Bleachbit.

I also have ClamAV (which is the av scanner for ClamTK - IOW, ClamTK is just a graphical interface for ClamAV) installed on Kubuntu, but can only recall having used it once too.

I used to perform regular virus scans when Windows was my main OS, but have got out of the habit since I've been using Linux.

#5 Loki123

Loki123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

Uhm on my FreeBSD I've got packet filter as a firewall (Default firewall for most BSD systems), the setup is very simple. Allow through the ports I use and deny everything else, both with in and out.

I've never been much for using ClamAV or any other security tools aside from a firewall. I don't see the purpose. I use the same sites all the time, install everything from official repositories and am not playing around with much that I don't feel safe with using.

Edited by Loki123, 20 March 2015 - 01:37 PM.

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

I've never been much for using ClamAV or any other security tools aside from a firewall. I don't see the purpose. I use the same sites all the time, install everything from official repositories and am not playing around with much that I don't feel safe with using.

Except if your dual booting with Windows then having something like Eset Nod32 or BitDefender on your system would be wise.

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:29 AM

Except if your dual booting with Windows then having something like Eset Nod32 or BitDefender on your system would be wise.

Indeed, that would ordinarily be wise, but I only keep Windows for a couple of games, (which I haven't even played since last year) and everything else is on my Linux partitions. So I would rather not have any anti-virus software slowing Windows down, as the worst that could happen is that I would have to reformat my Windows partition and re-install Windows and the games.

You've reminded me that I also have BitDefender (and DrWeb) on live CDs.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:45 AM

I use Chromium Browser NoScript and Adblock Plus, and ufw on the default settings(Portspoof is an interesting little tool.) , I do not use any antivirus. I do not use Windows.
When I do online shopping or banking I use a Live Puppy ( CD ) and no save file.

Bleachbit

I prefer Ubuntu Tweak.

Ways to aviod malwre on Linux

Same as avoiding malware on Windows. While the risk of getting malware on Linux is greatly reduced, One must exercise caution with Email attachments, Sites you visit, Disable Flash and Java if you don't need it.

You may want to read this.

[Guide] Practical GNU/Linux Security – Desktop Edition

Edited by NickAu, 22 March 2015 - 04:54 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#9 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

I prefer Ubuntu Tweak.

Please explain what Ubuntu Tweak is.

Same as avoiding malware on Windows. While the risk of getting malware on Linux is greatly reduced, One must exercise caution with Email attachments, Sites you visit, Disable Flash and Java if you don't need it.

Which I do Firefox is configured to ask only for plug-ins, hardware acceleration is disabled, Noscript Request Policy, HTTPS Everywhere Free Memory Click & Clean, WOT and Bluehell Firewall to help block malicious domains. Not to mention the apparmor is configured for Firefox and other profiles.

BTW I just installed RKhunter and it found nothing.

Indeed, that would ordinarily be wise, but I only keep Windows for a couple of games, (which I haven't even played since last year) and everything else is on my Linux partitions. So I would rather not have any anti-virus software slowing Windows down, as the worst that could happen is that I would have to reformat my Windows partition and re-install Windows and the games.

You've reminded me that I also have BitDefender (and DrWeb) on live CDs.

Agreed Live CD/thumb-drive AVs/AMs are nice when you need to scan your system for possible infections.

#10 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:21 AM

Has anyone tried Justbrowsing? It's a live Arch based environment and it comes in two variations Firefox and Chrome, and nothing is saved to disc because it has its own isolated file system.

#11 Loki123

Loki123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:44 PM

Malware downloaded on the HDD by the Linux distribution should not affect the Windows as windows can't touch the Linux partition and then Windows executables can't be run on Linux without help of Wine or other compatibility layers or virtual machine.

As long as you don't have Wine I would assume you are safe, as linux can only realistically be infected through use of Wine by windows malware. Unless you mind giving me new infromation on that matter.

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:22 AM

If one does have wine on linux for running a few windows programs in, how do you defend yourself then? Is making sure that those windows programs in wine never go online enough to prevent infection?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 Loki123

Loki123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:17 AM

If one does have wine on linux for running a few windows programs in, how do you defend yourself then? Is making sure that those windows programs in wine never go online enough to prevent infection?

No. Having an Anti Virus such as ClamAV, Nod32 or Kaspersky is how you can prevent or detect infections on applications that are being run under Wine.

Malware does not require internet access to do harm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users