Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with speakers.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:43 PM

So I got a new PC not awhile ago and I hooked up the speakers to the tower. The speakers don't seem to register on my pc. I have tried all the audio jacks but it is color coded so. Something to note it does have a bass woofer so do I need special drivers or?

I am a computer noob so any help is appreciated. I also have a monitor and does it have to be hooked up to there or?  Atm its hooked up to the color coded sound card at back of tower.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:44 AM

Is the jack on your speakers color coded, like green maybe? How many jacks does your speakers have, they should have just one little jack and your speakers should have a built in amplifier.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

If you are using on-board sound (ie off the motherboard) then the speaker output is the green socket, and your speakers should be connected to that. If you are using a separate sound card, then refer to the manufacturer's documentation, that will tell you which hole does what.

Since you have given us no information on the make and model of either your computer or your speakers I am going to have to be a bit vague here. Go into your control panel and its sound or audio settings and check that your audio is enabled or set active or default.

Finally, check that you do have drivers installed for your sound system - find your way to 'Device manager' and see if there is a yellow exclamation mark against your audio. If there is, probably you do not have drivers installed. This screen will also give you the maker of your audio system, you can always check their web-site for drivers.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:37 PM

So the speakers all connect to like a woofer and the woofer connects to the tower with the color coded green red and black holes sound card. Also the audio seems to work through my monitor but the speakers wont work. There is no yellow sign either @ Chris. I installed the drivers awhile ago.

Thanks for all the help so far sorry for being so vague. Also when i got to audio its like I have three different ones completely but the one with the monitor only works.

asus xonar DGx audio , nividia high definition audio, are the two that pop up when i go to speakers. Inspire t6300 creative are the speakers.

#5 The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:27 PM

Update so I have 4 audio jacks on the back of my tower can that support 5.1? Any help appreciated if it can support 5.1 or if i need to look up my speakers pls say so. My sound card is ASUS XONAR DGX audio device.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:18 AM

You actually have 5 audio jacks on the back of your tower; you have 3 analog and one digital output jacks and one analog input jack. The pink audio jack is an input for the mic. Did you get the manual with your soundcard when you bought it? I just did a little search on the internet and it looks like in order to get "true" 5.1 out of this soundcard you plug your front speakers into the green jack, the back speakers into the black jack and the center and sub-woofer into the orange jack. That will provide a "true" 5.1 output. Also, the optical output jack is true 5.1.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:54 AM

Update so I have 4 audio jacks on the back of my tower can that support 5.1? Any help appreciated if it can support 5.1 or if i need to look up my speakers pls say so. My sound card is ASUS XONAR DGX audio device.

You didn't mention the brand and model of your speakers, but are your speakers capable of "true" 5.1 audio, or are they simply 5.1 stereo speakers with built-in matrixing? If your speakers are true 5.1 speakers they will have either 6 RCA  type phono jacks or 3 mini-phono input jacks, Just like a true 5.1 home entertainment system, you actually need one wire for each channel of sound, but with mini-phono jacks they bundle two channels into each cord. For example on the back of my Blu Ray player in my home entertainment system, I have 9 wires connecting it to my amplifier. I have 6 RCA type phono wires for my 5.1 system, 2 RCA phono wires for my dedicated stereo system and one HDMI cable for the video. So if you want real, "true" 5.1 audio, the rule of thumb is that each speaker needs a dedicated wire. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

I have still been working on this matter and I looked at some other sites and found that there are a lot of 5.1 speaker systems that have optical input. In that case you simply need to buy an optical cable because your soundcard definitely puts out "true" 5.1 through the optical output jack.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:12 AM

So the speakers all connect to like a woofer and the woofer connects to the tower with the color coded green red and black holes sound card. Also the audio seems to work through my monitor but the speakers wont work. There is no yellow sign either @ Chris. I installed the drivers awhile ago.

Thanks for all the help so far sorry for being so vague. Also when i got to audio its like I have three different ones completely but the one with the monitor only works.

asus xonar DGx audio , nividia high definition audio, are the two that pop up when i go to speakers. Inspire t6300 creative are the speakers.

If all you have is the one green wire that goes into your sub-woofer, then plug that into the green jack on the back of your tower. You will then get 5.1 sound that is matrixed inside of your sub-woofer and you will by-pass the 5.1 circuitry in your soundcard. It really is that easy.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:22 PM

So the speakers all connect to like a woofer and the woofer connects to the tower with the color coded green red and black holes sound card. Also the audio seems to work through my monitor but the speakers wont work.

Sounds (yeah sounds :)) to me the HDMI audio is enabled while the onboard/soundcard is not by default. The control panel for surround/channel audio output are configurable if the speakers are connected on the main woofer using the single green jack going to the tower.

Tekken

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:48 AM

So the speakers all connect to like a woofer and the woofer connects to the tower with the color coded green red and black holes sound card. Also the audio seems to work through my monitor but the speakers wont work.

Sounds (yeah sounds :)) to me the HDMI audio is enabled while the onboard/soundcard is not by default. The control panel for surround/channel audio output are configurable if the speakers are connected on the main woofer using the single green jack going to the tower.

If he uses the single green wire going into his sub-woofer then he will by-pass all of the great audio circuitry in his sound card and really be feeding his speaker system just a stereo signal. The speaker system will matrix a surround sound signal from the stereo signal, but it will be a matrixed stereo soundtrack and not be the real 5.1 audio that the soundcard is capable of. In order to utilize the 5.1 capabilities of the soundcard he will have to use the optical out or the green black and orange jacks to provide a discreet signal to each speaker.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

So I only the green wire to the back of my tower not the orange or black ones? The speaker is creative inspire t6300 btw. Whenever i have them connected it seems like it is on but i get no sound. So i plug the green wire from the subwoofer into the green jack on my sound card right. Am complete noob sorry.

Atm the green is pluggedinto the green and orang in orange and black in black.

Edited by The Great Gatsby, 27 March 2015 - 05:41 PM.

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:54 PM

So I only the green wire to the back of my tower not the orange or black ones? The speaker is creative inspire t6300 btw. Whenever i have them connected it seems like it is on but i get no sound. So i plug the green wire from the subwoofer into the green jack on my sound card right. Am complete noob sorry.

Atm the green is pluggedinto the green and orang in orange and black in black.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you posted. But if it works, then go ahead and go for it.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8C1y-V0IUk

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users