Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizarre potential virus?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 iliberal

iliberal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:13 PM

I'm on a Windows 8 top of the line newer ASUS laptop, and it appears as though my computer has just tanked. I was in the middle of playing a game of league of legends when I noticed my frames start to tank. I alt-tabbed out, and saw that my desktop background had been replaced with a black screen, and all of my icons except for recycling bin were gone. I tried to open file explorer to figure it out, but windows notified me that the process could not be found and asked if I wanted to remove the shortcut. I restarted my computer (not in safe mode), to find out if there were any issues with booting, and hoping that a simple restart would fix the issue. Now, all of my taskbar icons are gone (replaced with the stock white page), and my hard drive shows 350 gb of missing data. All of my programs are gone, I can not open explorer.exe, yet somehow chrome booted. I redownloaded and ran virus scans with mbam, superantispyware, and adwcleaner and aside from a couple of tracking cookies they all showed up clean. I'm completely dumbfounded, and have no idea what's going on. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

Welcome aboard p22002758.gif

Did you try system restore?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users