Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error occurred while booting linux mint 17.1 multi boot win 8

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

It seems I have done something that has caused the following error to appear durring the boot of LM 17.1 on my multi boot system. I do boot to the grub menu, select the default LM 17.1, it starts to boot with the . . . . action on the screen and then this error pops up "An error occurred while mounting /mnt/201C7CF21C7CC3F6"  and it just stops right there. So I decided to boot into a live drive and look at the partitions and below is a screen of that. Any suggestions in how I can boot back into LM 17.1. I can boot into windows 8.1 no problem. 

http://g3OdJE6.png

Edited by mralias518, 19 March 2015 - 02:32 PM.

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

Did you mount the drive with (\)? during the install?

#3 mralias518

mralias518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

Did you mount the drive with (\)? during the install?

No. However, I was able now to get into LM 17.1 by hit esc when the error comes up and then ctrl D and it continues to boot. I have taken another screen shot of gparted within LM. Looks a bit different. Wondering if I'm dealing with different issues. However, I still run into the "An error occurred while mounting /mnt/201C7CF21C7CC3F6"  on every boot. 

h26J4uI.png

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:36 PM

Since the offending file system appears to be the Windows one, the first thing I would try is running a file system check on it using Windows.

I take it that it used to work ok, then something went wrong?

EDIT: It might be worth running:
sudo locate ntfsprogs
and
sudo locate ntfs-3g
to check that they are there, but I don't see why they wouldn't be unless you have removed them.

Edited by Al1000, 19 March 2015 - 05:46 PM.

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:39 PM

Did you place the boot file in the same partition? Or did you put it in the Windows partition? Seems to me that would cause a problem- Also - why are you using Gparted to install? once you have the partition created,you can do the rest with the Linux CD? I got a lot of help from BC with this,and I followed these steps.- I should do several screen shots to describe but these are the steps.

1.Choose the partition where you want to install- and check the format system

2.Choose the journaling 4 file system(from the drop-down box.

3.Mount the drive from the drop down box with this symbol (\)

4Place the boot file in the same partition as the install-also in the drop down box.

5.Choose the partition for the swap file using the Drop down box- some call it the drop down menu- and hit the install button. When the install is done ,the Windows boot manager should see it,and from there, choose which OS you want tyo boot into.

6.If you want linux to handle the boot process- you will have to install Grub from within Mint,and the update the grub loader, now Grub will control all your distros .This works- I am currently running 5 distros with no problems.Maybe AI1000 can give you the command lines for installing Grub- I don't remember them exactly,but someone onBC will be more than happy to show you how to do it!

#6 mralias518

mralias518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:36 PM

Since the offending file system appears to be the Windows one, the first thing I would try is running a file system check on it using Windows.

I take it that it used to work ok, then something went wrong?

EDIT: It might be worth running:

sudo locate ntfsprogs
and
sudo locate ntfs-3g
to check that they are there, but I don't see why they wouldn't be unless you have removed them.

I did do a windows system check in windows and the files are fine. As far as locating the files I will paste below the results. As I don't really understand what most of it means.

dell@dell-Latitude-E6410 ~ $ sudo locate ntfsprogs
[sudo] password for dell: 
/usr/share/man/man8/ntfsprogs.8.gz
dell@dell-Latitude-E6410 ~ $ sudo locate ntfs-3g
/bin/lowntfs-3g
/bin/ntfs-3g
/bin/ntfs-3g.probe
/bin/ntfs-3g.secaudit
/bin/ntfs-3g.usermap
/etc/default/ntfs-3g
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libntfs-3g.so.841
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libntfs-3g.so.841.0.0
/sbin/mount.lowntfs-3g
/sbin/mount.ntfs-3g
/usr/share/doc/ntfs-3g
/usr/share/doc/ntfs-3g/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/ntfs-3g/README.gz
/usr/share/doc/ntfs-3g/TODO.Debian
/usr/share/doc/ntfs-3g/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/ntfs-3g/copyright
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/25-ntfs-3g-policy.fdi
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/ntfs-3g
/usr/share/man/man8/lowntfs-3g.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/mount.lowntfs-3g.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/mount.ntfs-3g.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/ntfs-3g.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/ntfs-3g.probe.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/ntfs-3g.secaudit.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/ntfs-3g.usermap.8.gz
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ntfs-3g.config
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ntfs-3g.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ntfs-3g.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ntfs-3g.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ntfs-3g.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ntfs-3g.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ntfs-3g.templates
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ntfs-3g.triggers
dell@dell-Latitude-E6410 ~ $ 

Did you place the boot file in the same partition? Or did you put it in the Windows partition? Seems to me that would cause a problem- Also - why are you using Gparted to install? once you have the partition created,you can do the rest with the Linux CD? I got a lot of help from BC with this,and I followed these steps.- I should do several screen shots to describe but these are the steps.

1.Choose the partition where you want to install- and check the format system

2.Choose the journaling 4 file system(from the drop-down box.

3.Mount the drive from the drop down box with this symbol (\)

4Place the boot file in the same partition as the install-also in the drop down box.

5.Choose the partition for the swap file using the Drop down box- some call it the drop down menu- and hit the install button. When the install is done ,the Windows boot manager should see it,and from there, choose which OS you want tyo boot into.

6.If you want linux to handle the boot process- you will have to install Grub from within Mint,and the update the grub loader, now Grub will control all your distros .This works- I am currently running 5 distros with no problems.Maybe AI1000 can give you the command lines for installing Grub- I don't remember them exactly,but someone onBC will be more than happy to show you how to do it!

Paul:

The install of both windows and Linux were done a few months ago. I used gparted to create the partitions after the windows install. I installed LM via the Linux CD. I am showing the gparted screen shot because it shows how it systems are structured on the drive in it helps in solving the issue.

This new problem has just recently popped up while I was attempting to image the entire drive in Acronis True Image Home prem 14. I was able to image the entire drive which did show all the partitions with the associated operating systems. However, in order to restore from True Image you have to use a clone feature for the entire disk which as failed a couple of times. Not sure if that has anything to do with this new issue but I mention it anyway. My limited knowledge with mount, grub, swap file and the various file systems I fear has got me into this mess. I do have timeshift installed on LM and could try a restore to a back up I made 3/15/15 which would be fine as far as not losing anything. But before I do I wanted to post this error message in the hopes that this is something that has seen before and an edit somewhere would fix the issue.

To be clear, both Windows 8.1 and LM17.1 will load and work. Grub is working as well. I just keep running into the error pasted above when booting into LM and would prefer not to have to esc, ctrl D every time I boot to get LM working. I hope I am being somewhat clear. I thank you both for your responses and any other suggestions you may have.

Duplication of the disk once it is working will be a question for a different post.  

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:14 PM

I was reading the entire thread you posted and the screenshot as well - as far as I can tell,you installed LM correctly..This--/mnt/201C7CF21C7CC3F6" is a memory placeholder in the bootfile. I am familiar with the Acronis True Image Program but have never used it for myself.Since you said that everything worked fine until you tried to use the clone feature,that you stated has failed a couple of times, my best guess is that the Acronis program is the problem. It seems that the boot file was not copied correctly.I would try the Timeshift as you said,and see if that works.You can also try to repair the boot file in Windows, and see if that works That is about all I know to do- maybe someone else who knows a better solution can chime in- 

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,118 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:02 AM

As far as locating the files I will paste below the results. As I don't really understand what most of it means.

The packages required to mount the file system are present, which suggests that the problem might be with the file system itself.

(When I say "file system" I mean the partition's file system - not the operating system's files)

I did do a windows system check in windows and the files are fine.

I meant run the Windows file system check to check the NTFS partition for errors - chkdsk or whatever it's called. Is that what you did?

You can also check the file system using GParted from a live DVD/CD. Click on the relevant partition then select "Check" from the "Partition" menu in GParted.

(As using GParted has the potential to cause loss of data, it is advisable to backup any data you don't want to lose beforehand)

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,118 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:05 AM

This--/mnt/201C7CF21C7CC3F6" is a memory placeholder in the bootfile

Is it not a mount point? That's what it looks like to me. Partitions would ordinarily be mounted in /media but can also be mounted in /mnt.

You can also try to repair the boot file in Windows, and see if that works

Windows won't fix Grub.

#10 mralias518

mralias518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:28 AM

Instead of quoting all my replies I will try to sum up my responses without. I have had the BP police come through my posts before removing the quotes indicating they were not necessary. So here we go.

Paul:

I would have thought that the clone did not work correctly as well and messed up the copy. But this is the original drive that has come up with the problem. The copy was never made as it failed. Now to say that the attempted cloning caused errors on the original disk is also a possibility. Although I would like to think that a cloning would not alter the original disk at all. Perhaps I am being naive in that respect.

I am also hesitant to restore from the earlier timeshift image as I am never sure if I should allow the bootloader to be written or check the box that says skip boatloader installation (not recommended). I may do a quick LM install with timeshift on another computer and experiment with that before trying anything like that on the system in question. I really don't want to loss the system that has come up with the error.

I am somewhat certain I need to do something in the loading of the LM OS as everything works as it should up to that point. For some reason It wants to mount "/mnt/201C7CF21C7CC3F6" which I think is the windows partition so I can view it in LM after it loads up in any file manage. Which is true. I can see the windows partition in LM once everything is loaded. I may try using "disk" in LM and tell it not to mount the windows partition and see what happens with that during LM boot. 

Al1000:

I have not done any partition checks on the LM partition nor am I sure how to do that. As you stated GParted may change something which is too risky for me. I am a bit confused about the difference between partition file system and operating system files. I thought they were one in the same. I did do a couple of chkdsk in windows and that partition was fine. 

I really don't think Grub has any issues as that loads and points to the right OS as it should. It is only in the loading or booting if you will of the LM OS that the error occurs and as stated above I suspect it has something to do with the mounting of the windows OS partition while it is booting up. Do I misunderstand the meaning of "/mnt/201C7CF21C7CC3F6" as the partition of windows OS? If so then I'm back to square one. 

Again thanks for all the responses. They really help me understand how these system load which will eventually lead to a fix. 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So here is what I have found out and how it was fixed. First off, if not for Paul and Al1000 I never would have figured this out. Your posts lead me to the proper thought process to fix this. The following fix the issue

1. Booted into LM using the esc, ctrl D when error popped up to get into LM.

2, Went to Disk (the program in linux) to look at the partitions. If you have never used this program I suggest you look at it as it is very helpful.

3. Stopped the mounting of the "/mnt/201C7CF21C7CC3F6" which is the windows partition. 

4. remounted the windows partition so that it will mount in LM when LM loads.

5. reboot and the LM OS loads without error with the same mount point ID as shown above. 

Must have had some glitch during loading that required the above procedure to fix it.  

Mark this one fixed. 

Edited by mralias518, 20 March 2015 - 09:04 AM.

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,118 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:19 PM

Pleased to hear you got it fixed.

NTFS and fat32 are examples of Windows file systems; ext3 and ext4 are examples of Linux file systems. Think of a file system as being like a filing cabinet, in which files are stored. The filing cabinet is the file system; the system files are the files that you put in the cabinet.

201C7CF21C7CC3F6 is the UUID of the Windows partition.

/mnt/201C7CF21C7CC3F6 is a mount point within Linux, for the Windows partition.

Edited by Al1000, 20 March 2015 - 12:20 PM.

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:32 PM

I guess i should have clarified my statement- /mnt/201C7CF21C7CC3F6 i should have said that the preceding number is the hexadecimal address where the mount point is stored. I think I am right on that,someone please correct me if I am wrong-

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,118 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:14 AM

/mnt/201C7CF21C7CC3F6 is a directory. All mount points are directories, and the UUID of the file system (partition) is often used for the name of the directory when the file system (partition) has no label.

Try plugging a usb flash drive into your computer, mount it, then go to /media and you will probably find that the name of the mount point (directory) is the same as the UUID of the file system (partition) on the usb.

One of the things I love about Linux is that it sees everything as files and directories

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users