Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Development with Ubuntu Studio

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alex93

alex93

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:54 AM

I know that Ubuntu Studio is for video, audio and graphic design.  But, do you think it is possible to do web development in PHP while I do Graphic design?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

You can still get into ubuntu repository, or go to terminal to get any program that isn't there.  What I saw while I was test driving it showed the same basic ubuntu, but with a few different programs.  So anything you could do on ubuntu 14.04 LTS you should be able to do on ubuntu studio.  Run it live a bit and see what's there before you install.

Edited by heyyou325, 19 March 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#3 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:01 PM

It is very possible to do your PHP web develoment on Linux.. IF! you are a coder...If you like using something like Dreamweaver  as far as a i know you will be out of luck..

another issue could be if you use a windows based server it could take a while to sort out filing and permission differences  but if you run a linux server it would be ok...

you can install XAMPP which contains  Apache MySQL PHP and Perl  which you can then run on your own machine

#4 alex93

alex93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:03 PM

It is very possible to do your PHP web develoment on Linux.. IF! you are a coder...If you like using something like Dreamweaver  as far as a i know you will be out of luck..

another issue could be if you use a windows based server it could take a while to sort out filing and permission differences  but if you run a linux server it would be ok...

you can install XAMPP which contains  Apache MySQL PHP and Perl  which you can then run on your own machine

Right now I use Eclipse and WAMP.  I planned to changed to LAMP and my live web server is linux based. 

Would Ubuntu Studio be the best option to use or is there another linux distro that is more fitted for PHP?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users