Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 yellowfish

yellowfish

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:26 PM

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and not tech savvy. I have the same problem (or similar problem to the ones described earlier in this thread). I have a D-link DNS-323 2-bay enclosure unit with 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (model ST3500320AS) 500G drives inside. A few days ago, one of them stopped being recognized (hard drive light flashing continuously). I was told that the PCB in the drive was faulty. So I had a technican swap the PCB's between the 2 drives, it did not solve the problem. Then I had the technican swap (involved desoldered and soldered) the ROM chips on the 2 PCB's, it did not solve the problem. I then called Seagate and D-Link for support. D-Link told me to try recovering the data on the bad drive with a Linux computer (the same advice member ibiki said she received from Seagate in Oct 2014).

My questions are:

1) I have a laptop (running windows), the DNS-323 enclosure is connected to the laptop through a router. Can I use the same solution (R-Linux and ubuntu) to recover the data from my bad drive? How do I need to connect the bad drive to my laptop? by what means? i.e. what kind of cable?

2) Do I need to swap the ROM chips back to their original PCB's first in order for the bad drive to be ready (i.e. to have the data retrived with R-Linux and ubuntu)?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:31 AM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

The first thing I would do is try to recover the data using a live Linux Puppy CD or USB. Please see the first video in post #3 and the link in my signature for more details, and let us know if you have any questions.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:47 AM

Hi yellowfish :welcome:  To BC.

Edited as post was moved

Edited by NickAu, 24 March 2015 - 12:19 AM.

#4 Ibiki

Ibiki

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

Hello yellowfish!

You've got to remove your hard drive from the enclosure and plug it directly! As you said you're using a laptop, I recommend you to do the same thing that I did, I've bought a HDD/SSD Sata 3 Dock Station! It's cheap and very useful. Just take care to buy someone with sata 3 support and make sure that your laptop also supports USB 3 or you wont finish this job till Christmas!

Good luck!

#5 yellowfish

yellowfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:09 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice. Here is what I did (I used "bad" to mean non-working),

1) Plugged the "bad" hard drive to a HDD Sata dock station. It was not detected. The good hard drive was detected in the same dock station.

2) Connnect the "bad" hard drive using Sata cable to a desktop at a local PC repiar shop. It was not detected.

3) Installed SeaTools for Wondows software and run a short disk test on the good hard drive (plugged into the HDD sata dock station), it was detected and the test result was a pass. But with the bad hard drive, it was not detected by SeaTools for Windows.

My questions are:

1) Given what I have done so far, does it mean there is a hard drive mechancial failure with my "bad" hard drive"?

2) If the "bad" hard drive cannot be detected, R-Linux (or any other software) will not solve the problem (i.e. recover the data from the "bad" hard drive), will it?

3) what are my next steps.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:46 PM

According to the manual the drives are formatted either EXT2 or EXT3. When attached to the SATA dock station is the drive detected in Disk Management?

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:17 PM

1) Given what I have done so far, does it mean there is a hard drive mechancial failure with my "bad" hard drive"?

It certainly suggests that there is something wrong with it, but please bear in mind that this is the Linux and not the hardware section of the forum.

2) If the "bad" hard drive cannot be detected, R-Linux (or any other software) will not solve the problem (i.e. recover the data from the "bad" hard drive), will it?

You won't know until you've tried. I have a "bad" hard drive that Windows won't even boot when it's connected as a secondary drive, but it works just fine and passes all the integrity tests I've run on it using Linux.

3) what are my next steps.

I still suggest trying a live Linux Puppy CD or USB.

Edited by Al1000, 19 March 2015 - 05:18 PM.

#8 yellowfish

yellowfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:49 AM

JohnC_21,

When attached to the SATA dock station, the "bad" drive was not detected in Disk Management. The good drive was detected.

A1000,

I tried Linux Puppy CD, the good drive showed up in one of the sda's but the "bad" drive did not.

I tried R-Linux for Windows, the good drive showed up but "bad" drive did not.

What else can I do or try?

I did some research and found the following firmware fix (both links below talk about the same thing). I am not sure whether it should be tried (Does anyone know?)

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/

or

https://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/

There are youtube tutorials on how to do this. One of them is:

Appreciate your feedback.

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:15 AM

I've asked a moderator to consider moving this thread to the hardware section of the forum.

Mod Edit:  Moved to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 20 March 2015 - 04:24 AM.

#10 Ibiki

Ibiki

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

Ok, let's try the "brute force"!

Does your bad drive starts? Can you hear and feel the disk running inside?

I believe the answer is not, because otherwise the Rwindows could see something.

If your HDDs are twins, it could be related with their controller board. So if your HDDs are the same model, and just if they are REALLY the same model, you can change the boards and it will probably work!

The comic part of it, when I did it sometime ago, after I change back the board, the bad drive restarted working as usual as ever.

I don't know this word in english, but in my language we say that the board was "energized" and when you remove the screws and manipulate it, the        remaining electricity that could be there will be discharged and the circuit board restarts working as good as new. It's something most seen with mother boards but can happen with any circuit board.

Good luck!

And believe me, you must use Linux for your data recovering process.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:03 AM

The OP's first post said the PCB's were swapped and then had a tech swap the ROM chips. I saw that and got a little concerned.

#12 yellowfish

yellowfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:24 PM

ibiki,

The "bad" drive does not start. The disk does not spin.

To recap the problem, during power up, when the "bad" drive makes a unusual noise (a short buzzing noise lasting for a couple of seconds), then nothing happens. The "bad" drive is not detected:

1) when it is in the original D-Link net work storage enclosure

2) when it is in a HDD SATA dock station

3) when connected to another computer using SATA cable

Are there any other measures I can try to recover the data? I suspect it is a hardware problem.

#13 Ibiki

Ibiki

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:36 AM

I just see two possible solutions:

1 - Get a twin HDD of yours and try to change the circuit board as I said in my last reply.

2 - Make the steps posted by JohnC_21, this one I consider difficult for those whose don't have enough experience with firmware update.

3 - We can also suppose that your HDD's circuit board has residual charge, so take if off and gentile brush it with the metal rod of the screw driver, than connect it again on your HDD, sometimes works, but not ever.  

Good Luck!

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:59 AM

@lbiki, yellowfish in his first post stated that he swapped the circuit board with a identical drive he had. When that did not work, he had a tech transfer the ROM chip from the bad drive's PCB to the good drive's PCB and it still did not work. If your solution 3 does not work then I think yellowfish needs a professional recover service like Drivesavers

#15 yellowfish

yellowfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:17 PM

I can't afford professional data recovery services. Any desperate measures anyone can suggest? I don't mind ruining my "bad" hard drive physically or ruining my chances for data recovery by professionals. I understand that taking desperate measures may result in a much higher cost to recover the data (assuming damages are done as a result of the desperate measures). I am willing to risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users