Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locating Windows 8 or 8.1 Product Key

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cheesha

cheesha

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:53 AM

How do I locate the Product Key for a Windows 8 Computer since Microsoft no longer places the key on a sticker on the outside of the computer?  

I want to reinstall Windows, using an OEM Disk, however, need the original key from this computer to properly activate Windows.

It was so simple with Previous versions of windows......

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:56 AM

Hi cheesha :)

NirSoft developped a small executable called "ProduKey" that displays the product key used for your Windows activation, as well as other Microsoft-related product keys for programs installed on your system like Office and Visual Studio. Here it is:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Simply download the archive, extract it and execute it. Let me know how it goes :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:11 AM

You can also use "Belarc Advisor" which will scan your computer for all available license keys among many other things and will display them in a HTML file.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:38 AM

IMO the very best system information tool is SIW, there is nothing out there that has such a full spectrum of information about the system and hardware all bundled into one program.  It was totally free now you can try the trial which is full, I am willing to bet many will buy after trying.  On the Get it Now you will find the trial version lower left.

http://www.gtopala.com/

Found a freeware version!  http://downloads.tomsguide.com/SIW,0301-3552.html

Edited by OldPhil, 19 March 2015 - 08:47 AM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

I don't know why you would use a complete software that displays information not even wanted by the OP for a simple product key. But that's just my opinion.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:06 AM

I don't know why you would use a complete software that displays information not even wanted by the OP for a simple product key. But that's just my opinion.

I have found it to be a more than valuable tool, check it out you very well may change your mind especially if you help others with there machines.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:17 AM

I can see situations where I would use it, but in this one, I don't think it's needed. It's like asking for a Speccy log to get a Windows version ... What I'm saying is that this program give too many useless information that aren't relevant to what the OP wants to do. Anyway.

unite_blue.png

#8 cheesha

cheesha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:29 AM

Hi cheesha :)

NirSoft developped a small executable called "ProduKey" that displays the product key used for your Windows activation, as well as other Microsoft-related product keys for programs installed on your system like Office and Visual Studio. Here it is:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Simply download the archive, extract it and execute it. Let me know how it goes :)

Thank you for the suggestion. It seems or seemed like the perfect solution.     Last week, we tried the Produkey twice....on 2 different Windows 8 systems and the key it produced shows up as invalid when we try and use it during the reinstall on the very computer we harvested it from.    I will try it one more time.....

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

I know that ProduKey shows two product keys for Windows depending on the system, did you try both? Also make sure you get the Product Key and not the Product Id.

unite_blue.png

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:45 PM

If  you want to verify the key that is in firmware to the one found by Produckey which should be the same download Firmwaretablesview from the same site as produkey. Right click the exe file and run as Administrator. Click and highlight the MSDN table. In the lower screen will be your key that is embedded in firmware.

883x445xFirmwareTablesView.png.pagespeed

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 March 2015 - 01:45 PM.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:18 PM

My suggestion would be to use Belarc, but it's hard to be sure whether the number belarc gives is the real key or whether it is another similar number. It varies with whether the pc came with windows pre-instaled or whether the user installed it, and with computr manufacturer.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 cheesha

cheesha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:03 AM

Used Produkey Again.  Works great!  Thanks again!

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:03 AM

No problem Cheesha, glad that you found your way around it :)

unite_blue.png

#14 cheesha

cheesha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:07 AM

Thanks again! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users