Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gigabyte x99 Gaming 7 Wi-Fi motherboard - Long pause before the Gigabyte logo

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 luhseps

luhseps

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

I've recently bought a Gigabyte x99 Gaming 7 motherboard. Here are my specs: intel core i7 5930k ' 3.5GHz 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2666Mhz rAM 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD (running the OS) 2TB WD Caviar Black HDD Msi GTX 980 4GB GPU Corsair AX760i PSU Corsair H100i Water cooler Previously, i had a Gigabyte Z97 motherboard with a little i5 4690K. It booted with no issues at all. Very rarely would the Gigabyte logo actually be visible on bootup. The motherboard is running Motherboard Version 7 (the latest) I updated it yesterday from version 3 xD I was wondering why this pause exists. I am running windows 7 ultimate x64 but I doubt that affects this. I've tried fast boot with no difference. I was wondering if anyone else has a solution. Ive seen this problem a lot with Gigabyte x99 motherboards. More details: The pause is from when I press the power button and to when the Gigabyte logo appears... Usually about 7 - 8 seconds later. I know its small but its irritating seeing as a cheaper board was almost instant.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:07 AM

Do you have any over clocks on anything? You might try using xmp for your ram memory profile if the board supports it (I assume it does). Do you have any older hard drives in the computer? Any piece of equipment can cause issues with post. I would recommend trying with minimal required components installed and see if that speeds up the post. Disconnect all non needed hardware such as: ssd/hdd's, pci-e/pci cards (including your video card if you have onboard video use that), wifi cards... You should have the cpu/cpu cooler, ram, motherboard, power supply, keyboard, monitor connected. Power on and see if your post happens faster.

More hardware typically means a slower post, the motherboard has to "initialize" all of the hardware when you first power on prior to the post/splash screen, this includes usb devices so unplug all of the usb devices that are not needed, you can try with no usb devices if any of the above make no changes.

If you still have issues at this point, you might try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot. If you still have a slow post, try a different stick by itself in each slot.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:04 AM

Another place to check is the device manager in control panel hardware and sound, look to see if anything has a yellow check mark.  A faulty driver can cause that issue.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

I would check the boot order in the bios.  If it is first trying to boot to the USB WIFI/Network then re-arrange the boot order to boot from your OS drive then second cdrom 3rd whatever..

#5 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

Do you have any over clocks on anything? You might try using xmp for your ram memory profile if the board supports it (I assume it does). Do you have any older hard drives in the computer? Any piece of equipment can cause issues with post. I would recommend trying with minimal required components installed and see if that speeds up the post. Disconnect all non needed hardware such as: ssd/hdd's, pci-e/pci cards (including your video card if you have onboard video use that), wifi cards... You should have the cpu/cpu cooler, ram, motherboard, power supply, keyboard, monitor connected. Power on and see if your post happens faster.

More hardware typically means a slower post, the motherboard has to "initialize" all of the hardware when you first power on prior to the post/splash screen, this includes usb devices so unplug all of the usb devices that are not needed, you can try with no usb devices if any of the above make no changes.

If you still have issues at this point, you might try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot. If you still have a slow post, try a different stick by itself in each slot.

I will try that, to be honest all I can really disconnect is the video card. (Msi GTX 980 4GB) The motherboard has onboard Wi-Fi so I have no need for a Wi-Fi PCI-E card. I've updated the bios and USB 3.0 drivers but still no difference in boot

I would check the boot order in the bios.  If it is first trying to boot to the USB WIFI/Network then re-arrange the boot order to boot from your OS drive then second cdrom 3rd whatever..

The ONLY boot device is the SSD... and obviously I am booting off of that so it wouldnt be that

#6 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:26 PM

Another place to check is the device manager in control panel hardware and sound, look to see if anything has a yellow check mark.  A faulty driver can cause that issue.

I will try that tomorrow :)
Hopefully I can fix it like that, but even then, I had this problem from when I first built the PC and when I finished installing all the drivers

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:32 AM

You could still disconnect the ssd to check how fast the computer posts. Every device that is plugged into the motherboard has to be initialized prior to post. A bad hard drive or ssd, wireless card, or even dvd drive could cause a pause in the post.

Drivers won't matter for post speed, drivers are only related to windows. The post screen is a part of the bios firmware. Windows is loaded only after successful post.

Edited by zingo156, 30 March 2015 - 07:34 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:32 AM

I have on several occasions stripped the board of everything, then using a wired mouse and key board replaced one item at a time.  You do not need anything but the a fore mentioned!

#9 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:51 PM

probably_not_great.png

I have a feeling this probably isnt very good... 

I would assume I am at least somewhat correct...

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

? Did you load the entire Gigabyte disk, if you did I would try reloading it.  This looks like it may be a board driver issue, it could be as simple as you missed one of the disks features.

#11 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:12 PM

? Did you load the entire Gigabyte disk, if you did I would try reloading it.  This looks like it may be a board driver issue, it could be as simple as you missed one of the disks features.

I never used the DVD as my NZXT H440 does not have a DVD drive bay.
I just downloaded the drivers I needed from Gigabyte untill everything I needed worked.

I am installing everything now, I used my really crappy laptop to copy all the files from the DVD to a USB and I am installing everything now.
Hopefully it works :)

#12 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:57 PM

No difference, the boot time is still ages.

I will try the remove every item, like HDD, RAM (I doubt this is the problem as I built my computer with 4 x 4GB RAM and now I upgraded to 4 x 8GB so I doubt they're the issue but Ill try anyways) and so on...

Any more suggestions for BIOS settings that may be conflicting

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:01 PM

A slow post screen generally isn't caused by a bios setting, or I have never seen a setting cause that issue yet anyway. Most likely it is some hardware that is slow to initialize, or even an issue with that motherboard. I had a customer with a new AsRock board which had a similar issue.

#14 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

A slow post screen generally isn't caused by a bios setting, or I have never seen a setting cause that issue yet anyway. Most likely it is some hardware that is slow to initialize, or even an issue with that motherboard. I had a customer with a new AsRock board which had a similar issue.

Ok, I was thinking about getting an Msi or Asus motherboard, people dont generally complain much.

Guess I should've done my research before buying this board.

#15 luhseps

luhseps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:55 AM

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?
Drivers werent the problem.

I can run at 4.1GHz CPU and 2666Mhz RAM or completely stock (3.5GHz CPU or 2133MHz RAM) and it doesnt make a difference

Do I have perhaps a bad board or something wrong?

Even when I reset all the settings to default in the BIOS I still run into the same problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users