Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on Boot issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EpicFailure

EpicFailure

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:25 AM

Had a problem with the computer going blue screen of death on reboot on a system that worked fine for over a year.  I was finally able to get in on a safe mode after rebooting several times and just got lucky more then anything. I noticed that even on safe mode the graphics were old CGA type (purple/violet type action). The sizes were totally off.

This lead me to believe that I had a video card problem. I had an EVGA GeForce 670GTX (2 6pin power connector required). I have a spare machine with an older card that only used one 6pin a GeForce GTS250. I stuck that into my rig and everything works fine after driver changes etc. In the process I reinstalled windows and have a very basic setup as far as programs go (think 1 game email client MS office and that's about it).

I went shopping for a new card and decided on the Gigabyte GV-N960WF2OC-2GD WINDFORCE 2X Gaming Graphics Card. This card uses 2 6pins like the previous GTX 670 I had in the system.  I popped it in thinking that ok should be smooth sailing... Well the new card started performing similar (constant self reboot on startup) as the previous 670 did. I now have the older card back in the machine and not sure where to go from here.

I am not sure what's happening as on boot up I do see the Gigabyte logo with the new card 960card and its in a higher resolution as the graphics are tighter and smaller on the screen. This tells me that the card is working the way it should (so to speak). This opening bios screen lasts a long time then it drops to load windows. From there I either get a quick flash of a BSOD (to quick to see what's going on before it recycles or it goes directly to a black screen with cursor in the top left corner and eventually will try to reboot after a lot of grinding and moaning.

I was thinking it was the 6 pin power connector but it doesn't matter which one I use on the older 670 the  card works so assuming I am getting the correct power to the video card. Windows has already been reinstalled with very minimal programs so ruling out that.

I do have a 1000W PS which is more then adequate to handle the load of 400W that the card needs.

Any Advice as I am coming up with nothing here  and my wife wants her card back in the older machine

I digress but any suggestions would be appreciated.

My System specs are as follows

Running Win7 Ultimate close if not totally up to date

Motherboard -Gigabyte  GI Assassin 2 X79 rev1.0 with a intel i7 -3820 CPU running at 3.6Ghz

16 Gig Mem total on 4 x 4Gig sticks cant remember type or speed think corsair but would have to pull one out to check if it becomes an issue I will

PS- is Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000Watt

HD is Vertex4 25SAT3- 256Gig

Everything works fine with the older card just when I stick in the new 960 it chokes. Wish I had the older 670GTX still but threw it out thinking that was the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:49 PM

I suspect the power supply has blown a cap for one of the power leads if you replicate the same problem with two video cards in the same system than the power supply or the mainboard (card slot) is the problem.  I would try a new/different power supply first.  What is the brand name of your current power supply?

#3 EpicFailure

EpicFailure
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:44 PM

PS- is Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000Watt.

Only thing I question is that I used either of the 6pin connectors that fed the original GTX670 card on the temporary 250 card and it worked with either plugged in. Is this (blown cap)something that would only show up when both 6pins were plugged in? Also when I boot up I do get the gigabyte bios screen login showing.. just that everything past that point is a fail.

Edited by EpicFailure, 19 March 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

Download display driver uninstaller and choose Clean and Shutdown.  Install the new video card and connect the cables.  Check that your monitor cables are good and dont have any bent or missing pins.  Install the latest drivers and see if this resolves the issue.

#5 EpicFailure

EpicFailure
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:03 PM

Nope.. Tried deleting the drivers with above tool and rebooted it. Would not load windows at all I had to do a system restore to a prior restore point in order to get things running .

I did get the new powersupply today and it is doing the exact same thing. I get the Gigabyte Bootup menu in what looks like higher resolution graphics then it just beeps at me a few times then auto resets. Not seeing the BSOD like before but who knows.

I now have the older graphics card working with the new power supply and am totally at a loss.

I am going to stick the older PS and New card in my 2nd machine tomorrow to see if it works.

Running out of things to swap and rather not go out to buy something else that I don't need.  

#6 EpicFailure

EpicFailure
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:02 AM

ok put the old PS and New 960 video card in my wifes old machine and everything is working fine. Still unable to put the new videocard into my machine without the boot issue occuring. Doesnt matter which slot I try and put it into my MB it the same symptom.

Going to try and reformat and start fresh once again on system. (2nd time for this) Not sure what else I can do. This seems like a hardware problem but getting tired of buying new parts for it that dont resolve the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users