Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whos good at Math here; a puzzle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pestyone

Pestyone

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:17 AM

Ok always wonder about this so here goes; not sure where to post so starting here. 

I have normal printing paper; 11x8.5  with 3/4 of inch margin on all four sides with normal size style and letter size  print filling the entire page .

Always wanted to know how many pages does it take to fill one  MB's ? 

Might it be 80 = 1 Mb  or  100 = 1 mb how does one think about that; then do the math to get an answer ?

Any math geek s out their up to solving this puzzle rattling about in my head ?

Thanks a bunch

Edited by hamluis, 19 March 2015 - 08:24 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

Hi Pestyone,

The important things here are how many characters per line you're getting and how many lines you have.

You cannot get an exact answer to this question because a page full of lower-case 'I's is going to represent more characters than a page full of capital 'W's.  So at best your answer is only ever going to be approximate.

A quick Google search for "Characters per page" turned up this result:

http://anycount.com/WordCountBlog/how-many-words-in-one-page/

According to that article:

at 10 points pitch you'll get 4972 characters per page (including spaces)

at 12 points pitch you'll get 3838 characters per page (including spaces)

Sooooooooo .... to fill 1MB ....

1 megabyte = 1024 kilobytes = 1048576 bytes, or the same number of characters (assuming one byte per character which may not be the case as they could be wide characters or Unicode characters).

Therefore, assuming 1 character is 1 byte we have 

10 point: 1048576 / 4972 = 210.9 pages, call that 211 pages

12 point: 1048576 / 3838 = 273.21 pages, call that 274 pages

It's not an exact science, but if that article is about right then that's what you can look for.

Bear in mind though that word processor documents will contain other information - metadata - about your document, so you can easily have a 1MB document but not have as many printable characters on it.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#3 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

Hum not to sure about math just doesn t seem right if I had an e book say that has 3/4 of an inch margin on the 4 sides and the specs said it was 12 or 14 point most likely I don t think that means its 633 (?) pages long; think something got missed in the

math .

Need my calculator and an e book with specs and see how it plays out I guess but at least its an idea and a starting point. 

Guess i'll wait a bit for more comments  -  later  thanks

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

Somebody has already tested their own theory on this:

How many pages of text will one megabyte hold?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:50 AM

Hum that still doesn t sound right "  250 pages = 1 M B  "  guess i'll have to keep that in mind as I get free e books that hand standard letter sizes; 12 or 14 point and 3/4 inch margins on all the sides that won t be to hard .

But really 250 pages  ish  ?  ?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users