Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing wi-fi

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:36 AM

I'm replacing my wi-fi antennas on a Gateway NV53A notebook, I ordered new antennas and when replacing them discovered that the black wire was much shorter then the original one. Is this going to be a problem or can I stick it in another position so that it will reach to the wi-fi card?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

I guess I am not 100% sure what you mean here.  Are you saying that the wire that connects the Antenna to the Network card is short?  I guess it will only be a problem if the wifi connection doesn't work for you anymore.  :thumbsup2:

#3 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:56 PM

I am replacing the antenna wire and the one I purchased is shorter than the original one. So I am wanting to know if it's a problem to place the antenna end in a different spot so that it will reach the card? If so is one spot better then another?

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:12 PM

The only problem I can think of is if the 'new spot' causes you to have a lower reception.  I guess your asking CaN it have an effect on your signal strength/connection?  It CAN but it may be better than where it was.  Or worse.. depending on your results.

#5 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

So I guees that's what I am asking? Or is this just a trial and error kinda thing? There a foil lining on the inside of the cover and the original antenna was place on the outer edge just above this. And there are some foam padding pieces also. Should I try to stay close to the edges or can I mount it in the middle on the foil liner? That's what I wanted to know, if it makes a difference where I stick it? I really don't want to have to take it apart again because I can't get a signal/connection?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:42 PM

For your reference here is the service manual if you do not already have it. It is for the NV53 but should be similar for the NV53A. Page 111 gives instructions on replacing the antenna cables. One is longer than the other. Were both of yours the same lenght and color? I can't say if re-routing the shorter wire would change your signal but the wire lengths were designed for a reason.

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:39 PM

I am going to have to be completely honest here.. I read your post and for whatever reason I thought we were talking about an external antenna system.  I didn't get the picture that we were talking about an internal wifi antenna.  I suspect that It should not make a big difference though but I would have it further from the battery if possible.

#8 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for the honesty, I probably should have just posted a pic of what I was refering to? would have explained it a lot clearer.

I have discovered that I may have ordered the wrong wi-fi antenna ( I ordered the NV 53 instead of the NV53A)

I'm don't know why that would make much difference but obviously it did so I'm going to order the correct one and that should fix my problem. Thank you for the help.

Edited by spngbobis4me, 23 March 2015 - 03:37 AM.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:29 AM

Solder another wire to what you, a dab of solder and a piece of heat shrink done deal problem solved.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#10 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:55 PM

I'll try that, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users