Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

URGENT** Update Issues/ Undoing Changes / Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lilly123

Lilly123

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:14 AM

Hi,

Last week, my computer underwent some updates. I did those updates in the late night. The next morning, I started my computer, and it would not connect to the internet. I did a system restore the following night, and I chose a point before said updates took place. My PC was running smooth for a while.

Yesterday, it mentioned that it needs to update again. I postponed the updates. This afternoon, it gave me a countdown to when it will automatically undergo the updates. The computer did the updates, and the same problems returned.

I tried another system restore, but this time when it restored, it immediately began updates. Apparently, the updates were not successful, because the computer is now saying 'We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer.' This screen stayed for around 40 minutes, and then it said it was restarting. But, after the restart, it went back to the same 'undoing updates' screen. 

I am considering turning the computer off and trying to reboot in Safe Mode.

PS: The PC is a HP touchscreen laptop with Windows 8.1.

This is my sister's computer, and she is a college student in her last semester. 

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for your time

-Lilly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

Did you ever make any system images?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/
If so you could probably use one and fix your problem, use is described in these two sets of instructions. If you lack a system image then try starting into the recovery environment anyway, as when you reach the "select a system image backup" dialog there might (just might) be an image preinstalled by the manufacturer on a hidden partition of your drive and if there isn't you can always go back from there. Advanced startup can be accessed in several ways, if none of the ways described below work for you then others here shold be able to advise you on alternative ways of reaching them.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/advanced-startup-options-menu-in-windows-8/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/system-image-recovery-in-windows-7-8/

If there is no image of your won which you made on the hard-drive or on an external disc, and the manufacturer hasn't pre-installed one then you must use the other options available, but thye are much trickier to work with and have many ways of going wrong. Things like "reset/refresh" and "system restore" and "automatic repair" can work but are less effective, less reliable and will require more reinstalling of programs and resetting of settings to your personal tastes afterwards. If you lack a system image of your own (or pre-installed on the machine) then i would suggest asking for further advice before trying to use any of the other options. As a note i would advise you, if you manage to recover from this either by system images or by some ingenious method which someone else may suggest then i suggest you make yourself a system image on an external drive in cas this occurs again. I would also advise you to set updates to "check automatically but let me choose when to download and install" rather than having them fully automatic, this way you can see whether updates are being offered but search google and various forums for other's reports of issues caused by them before attempting installation, buggy updates are very common these days. You should set an alarm on you phone or something to remind you each tuesday late in the evening so you don't forget to check which updates are being offered as trying to keep up with them(atleast with certain ones amongst them) is important for the security of your machine. I have thread here where i report on whether recent updates are giving issues and give advice on how to stay secure without risking a buggy update.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/551980/the-windows-updates-monitoring-thread/

Edited by rp88, 19 March 2015 - 05:33 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Lilly123

Lilly123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:26 PM

Hi 

Thanks for the reply.

After I started this thread, I worked around the problem on the HP computer by rebooting in Safe Mode and undoing the system restore. I then changed the update settings to not automatically install

But now, I have the same issue on my own computer (Lenovo G500s Touch Laptop). I restarted my computer, and it automatically went to updates as it was turning back on. Those updates also failed, and it did the same thing as the HP. It tried to undo the changes, but they stayed in a restart loop. I got into Safe Mode and did a System Restore. This worked for me both times. I changed the update settings on this computer too. 

Today, my Lenovo is telling me that there are Windows Updates, but I am hesitant to go through with them. I don't want my computer to be outdated, but I don't want to have the same issue again. Do you have any advice for me? 

(Please keep in mind that since I did the System restore in Safe Mode, it cannot be undone.)

Thank you so much for your time.

-Lilly

#4 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

Change the settings to manually install the updates.  Install a few updates at a time if they are small. Install the large ones one at a time.  This will narrow down what might be causing the issue.

When you have numerous updates installing at the same time, it is common to see a few of them fail to install because the other updates are installing 1st and must complete before any further updates can be installed.  A few reboots will resolve that.  This is normal

Edited by dinodod, 23 March 2015 - 02:20 PM.

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:28 PM

My fist advice is to make some system images, as i expained in my last post. They will be of great value if this happens again. my second advice is to post the names and numbers (KB.......) of all the updates in the round of updates that came out just before this occured. Whatever it was the fact it has caused problems for several separate computers of yours suggests a buggy one. As far as updates go the ones which put you in a real dilemma are the security updates (Security Update for ...) as you don't want to be too far behind on those, you want to atleast get them within a few days, unless you hear beforehand that one of them has particular problems. The other type of updates (Update for ...) are less problematic as they don't have a security effect, so going without them, even for weeks in some cases doesn't do too much harm. At present i suggest you make some images whilst thimgs are working well, then post a list of the updates which were released when the problems occured.

Also occured to me, can you post the types and specs of all your machines which you know are having this issue, it might be possible to notice something in common about them.

EDIT: just to check, have you left it to automatically CHECK for updates but not DOWNLOAD or INSTALL without your approval. Not checking at all is a pretty bad idea as you might not even know when updates are out. Always better to know, that way you are in the position to make informed decisions for each update.

Edited by rp88, 23 March 2015 - 02:31 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:09 PM

Also occured to me, can you post the types and specs of all your machines which you know are having this issue, it might be possible to notice something in common about them.

Use Speccy.  Unless you know of a better one?

#7 Lilly123

Lilly123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

@rp88 - I have it set to CHECK for updates but not INSTALL without me allowing it to.  I will post later with the specs of the Lenovo, and I'll have to ask my sister for her computer so I can check the HP.

@dinodod - I might go ahead with SOME updates, a little bit at a time like you said. Right now, I still feel a bit hesitant, but once I get this all figured out, I know that I need to update Windows :)

Thank you both for you answers :)

#8 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

That will be fine.  And of course, make sure you have a complete backup image of your system.  Do you have a way to fully backup the PC?

#9 Shalynne

Shalynne

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:55 AM

Sounds like the exact same problem I had here, on my Lenovo Yoga 2-11S.  No internet connections after the 3/10 "Patch Tuesday" updates.  Did a System Restore (which took forever), and all connectivity returned.

I don't boot this machine up every day, but when I booted up on 3/24, a bunch of brand-new updates showed up.  I (foolishly?) installed all of them.  So far, so good.   I've had no further problems.

Seems to have been a Lenovo/Microsoft conflict.  It appears (fingers crossed) that Microsoft has fixed it.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by Shalynne, 26 March 2015 - 04:57 AM.

#10 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

Ah...  dual posting and I didn't think to look at your name.  

Seems I was helping you on both ends

#11 lightspeed11

lightspeed11

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:04 AM

I had a similar problem. I realized that it's not always the updates itself, but the order that u do the updates in. Example, doing a few now, a few tomorrow etc, might cause prob's for some. But doing the whole thing until no updates are available. Then next time a few more arrive, do that whole lot, works best for me. I know it's weird. Windows updates seems to like it when certain (KB...) updates are done prior to new ones being installed. Conflicts & what have u. Have a system Image first. Do your own system restore point too...

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:53 AM

lightspeed11: funny I've never noticed that at all. It has been in my experience that some updates are problematic for some people regardless of what other updates they might or might not have installed. I can see why your argument would make logical sense, I could imagine MS designing updates specifically to work on machines with all the other revious updates installed, but only a small selection of updates have listed pre-requisite ones and amongst the other's I've never had an issue with any given update for the reason of lacking some previous ones, I have had the odd issue with some updates which are just plain buggy.

#13 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:30 PM

I remember the old days of Windows NT4 where the updates had to be in a specific order.  Maybe even the early days of Windows 2000?  But those were a long time ago and MS has come a long way since.

Buggy patches?  Oh yea, even in Windows 10, it happens.  Yes, there is a patch in Windows 10 build 9926 that will stop windows update from working properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users