Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think CCleaner is doing something to my C drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolascc

Nicolascc

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:38 PM

I recently got rid of a nasty Trojan earlier (Thanks to BleepingComputer :D ) but now I'm running CCleaner's Drive Wiper and Im noticing It might be adding stuff to my computer?

I had about 175GB out of 254GB on my C drive but now after running it for roughly an hour it says I have 77.3GB left. Every time I check it the amount of space left keeps getting smaller and smaller.

I've already deleted a bunch of programs and broken files earlier which cleared up a ton of space. Now Im just confused, I don't notice a difference in performance, nothing new seems to be downloaded or reinstalled? I can't tell what CCleaner is doing but its taking up a HUGE ammount of my drive.

Someone help :(

(PS I never used Driver Wiper before so Im unsure if its supposed to do this or not :\)

Edited by Nicolascc, 18 March 2015 - 10:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:18 PM

I've never used it either. but I would make sure to have "Free Space Only" checked or it can wipe the whole drive / partition clean.

Edited by alv117, 18 March 2015 - 11:19 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:47 AM

Using CCleaner: Wiping free disk space
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:22 AM

I had about 175GB out of 254GB

Is that a Solid State Drive?

but now after running it for roughly an hour

Are you letting CC Cleaner finish?

The reason I ask. But bear with me for a minute. I use Ubuntu and it is installed on a Solid State Drive, And I used Bleachbit to wipe free disc space, I also noticed that every time I checked free space it was smaller and smaller, Until BleachBit finished then the free space returned to normal. I also found it was bad to stop in the middle of the run, In my case I messed up my PC and had to re install Ubuntu.

I do understand that the OP is using Windows and CC Cleaner, But the free space disappearing while it's being wiped ( Overwritten ) rang a bell

( As I only use SSD I have no idea what happens on HDD )

I could also be way off target.

Edited by NickAu, 19 March 2015 - 05:33 AM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:23 AM

CCleaner creates a file which stores all the free space it wipes until there's no more to wipe, and then it deletes it. Hence why the available space reduces as the free space clean goes. At the end, the file will have the size of your "available size" and CCleaner then deletes it once and for all. I guess BleachBit uses the same process.

Edited by hamluis, 19 March 2015 - 11:41 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users