My nerves are strung out to the point I feel like I'm actually going to have a break-down. . . I have been working on this problem for a week straight, and I feel like I'm the only person in all the internet having it.
I'm getting the "Aw, Snap!" error message when I try to view YouTube, or any YouTube-like videos. Other video players (presumably non-Flash) seem to work. Simply navigating to YouTube, however, causes the "Aw, Snap!" screen, even before I attempt to play any videos (it also happens if I try to access a YouTube video from a non-YouTube website).
WHAT I'VE DONE ALREADY:
I have followed every suggestion step in the Chrome browser itself to the letter, as well as non-Chrome-suggested fixes. Where applicable, I've tried multiple variations on these steps.
1. I have ensured my firewall and antivirus programs are not causing the problem-- I've done this by turning them off, or even uninstalling them, then re-installing them after confirming they were not the problem.
2. I have checked the extensions-- I did not have any on to begin with.
3. I have checked for Malware; I've performed multiple of the most-thorough scans with the following programs: Malwarebytes (old version and updated version), AVG, Super Anti-Spyware, Ad-Aware, and PC Mechanic; only Malwarebytes found anything, and it seemed to be unrelated. I was able to successfully remove the "Potentially Unwanted Programs" and "Potentially Unwanted Modifications", which did not return, as confirmed by additional scans. It didn't change anything.
4. I created a new User Profile, following the suggested steps successfully, which also changed absolutely nothing about the problem.
5. I have deleted and reinstalled Google Chrome; it does nothing.
6. I have updated my Flash plug-ins-- doing this actually caused Chrome to crash entirely, not just on YouTube.
7. I have ensured Google Chrome was fully up-to-date. No change.
8. The one action I've taken which seems to provide a temporary solution, is when I use a System Restore from a previous date. I've done this several times now, as the solution seems to only work for a random amount of time. I had a restore point at 03/10/15, which for the first six times or so, worked fine. After that, however, it stopped working. Now I'm restoring to a point from 03/03/15, which worked for a longer period of time (most of today), but now the problem is occurring again.
When this problem first happened, it also killed my FireFox browser, which was up to date, save for the *most* recent update, as of 03/10/15. When I say "killed", I mean that Firefox would suddenly not start anymore, citing "Failed to load XPCOM". Multiple attempts at removing/reinstalling, and updating Firefox didn't help at all. I eventually got Firefox to work again, by finding a really old version of the file, and installing that-- which is what I'm using right now. Attempting to update it from here causes it to crash again, which may or may not be related to the Chrome issue. It seems like it is.
I've scoured the internet for solutions to this problem-- nobody seems to be having exactly the same problem I am, but many are similar, and none of the resolutions I've been able to find work for me.
WHAT I WAS DOING/CHANGED PROGRAMS BETWEEN WORKING AND NOT WORKING:
There were no changed programs. The first time this happened, I was watching YouTube before work. I left and came home, YouTube no longer worked, and neither did FireFox. Eventually Chrome stopped working altogether, until I did the system restore, and that hasn't happened again. Chrome now works, except for YouTube (and possibly all Flash videos).
What was I doing between when it worked and when it didn't? I left YouTube; that's all. I navigated away from YouTube after watching some videos, did some online banking, checked my e-mail, went back to YouTube, it suddenly didn't work. After one of the system restores, I still had YouTube videos open in tabs I wasn't looking directly at-- videos which I had watched part of, and intended to go back and finish, but wasn't able as Chrome suddenly decided that trying to watch them was now a problem.
The only thing I've noticed (very) recently, is that it MAY be that I am plugging my iPhone into my computer to charge it, between times when YouTube is working, and when it isn't, after each system restore. Said another way: I restore my system, YouTube works for a little while; I plug my phone in to charge, it stops. I'm not sure that's actually a correlation, more tests are needed, but it's the only other thing I can think of. Is it possible I could have a phone virus that's crawling into my computer and causing this issue?
MY SYSTEM INFORMATION:
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate
BROWSER(s): Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox
Processor: Pentium Dual-Core T4200, 2.00 GHz
RAM: 4.0 GB
System Type: 64-Bit OS
I've been using Chrome for a long time now. I haven't ever seen anything like this, and apparently neither has anyone else. Can anyone PLEASE help? I might literally have a heart-attack from the stress this is causing me.
So now Malwarebytes won't load at all, having been "never" installed (since my last system restore). It gives me "Run Time Error 383. 'Text' property is Read-only." That's a totally new thing, it wasn't doing that after previous system restores.
I also discovered that the nearly-identical (presumably Flash) videos on porn sites work just fine on Chrome, even though the YouTube videos still won't.
Another interesting point about YouTube not working, is that it DOES display for a few seconds before telling me it can't run. If I quickly click on a video before the Aw Snap error displays, it will take me to the page for that video, begin to load the video, then suddenly give me the Aw Snap error before actually allowing the video to play.
Edited by BunBuJin, 18 March 2015 - 10:07 PM.