Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on a tablet to buy from Best Buy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

I am looking to buy a tablet at Best Buy because I have a gift card for 250.00.   This is my max price.  I need it because I am traveling the country in my RV and its alot easier to pull over and use than firing up my laptop.  I work remotely using my phone and computer.  The things I need it to be capable of is to be able to install my Microsoft Outlook 2007, I need to be able to use Microsoft Word docs, Excel sheets and of course to be able to surf the net.  I also need to be able to hook up my bluetooth mouse and keyboard.   I prefer a 10 inch screen.  I have a Galaxy S5 for my phone and I was wondering if the Galaxy Tab within my price range from Best buy would do these things.  If not, what other choices do I have that can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Topic moved from Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

$250.00 will not get near a decent 10 inch tablet from Best Buy. It might get close to a 7 or 8 inch. But regardless your performance and onboard storage issues will make you regret getting it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:43 PM

I dont need much storage.  I use a removable hard drive.  The galaxy tablet is around that price.  I had one before at that price and it worked great.  I broke it and they gave me a gift card to get a new one.  I decided to wait a bit until prices came down.  

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:50 PM

I'm not talking about an external drive, for storage. I'm talking about the main storage for the OS and related system apps and apps that can't reside on an external drive.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:01 PM

Ok I got ya.  Well this is my price range. Like I said,  I had one last year that worked perfect for what I needed it for in this price range.  So I know there is one out there. Especially now that time has passed there is probably a better one available.    I just don't remember what kind the old one was cause I broke it by dropping it.  

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:33 PM

I just used the $200.-$250. price guide and Android as the OS for search filters.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&nrp=15&cp=1&sp=-bestsellingsort%20skuidsaas&seeAll=&_dyncharset=UTF-8&ks=960&sc=Global&list=y&usc=All%20Categories&type=page&iht=n&browsedCategory=pcmcat209000050008&st=categoryid%24pcmcat209000050008&qp=currentprice_facet%3DPrice~%24200%20-%20%24249.99%5Eoperatingsystem_facet%3DOperating%20System~Android

There isn't a tablet there that won't be 2-3 versions behind in OS. Or lacking in performance that it will make you wish you weren't using it. Or that I would feel comfortable recommending to you. I totally understand your limitations, I really do. But I'm not comfortable suggesting something to you that I wouldn't use myself.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 Sdexcalibur

Sdexcalibur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:06 AM

Better yet find one on craigslist and offer your gift card as payment. You will prob have to verify it at the store but could work in your favor

#8 Patricia Williamson

Patricia Williamson

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:23 AM

If you are looking to buy the tablet in range up to 250$ than samsung galaxy tablet is the best for you.It also provides 10 inch screen within your price range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users