Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web based e-mail in Firefox / Win 7 problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:21 PM

This one is driving me nuts because it is highly convenient for me to access my e-mails in Windows.

Hardware -

CPU      AMD Athlon II x2 250
MOBO    ASUS  M4N68T-M-V2 (AM3)
RAM    2X KINGSTON DDR3 2Gb

931GB Seagate ST1000DM 003-1CH162 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)  Win 7-64 OS 'C' drive
931GB Hitachi HDS721010CLA SCSI Disk Device (SATA)   Data
465GB Seagate ST350041 8AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA)    Data
232GB Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00GVC0 ATA Device (ATA)   Linux Mint 17.1-64 OS

Audio - ASUS Xonar D1 Audio Device

Video - NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Due to an MS update last week my Win 7 deteriorated to the stage that I had to do a complete re-install. Since then I have been restricted to text only e-mail - I use AOL - in Win 7 and even that doesn't work properly. While Firefox is my default broswer in Win 7 I have Chrome and IE 11 and it is exactly the same in them. Every other web-site is working normally. I have uninstalled and re-installed Firefox without improving the situation any.

If I switch over to Linux my e-mail works perfectly normally on Firefox, as it does on my wife's Fujitsu laptop (Win 7) on the same router, and it works perfectly normally on a third computer I was using on a public network yesterday morning, also Win 7.

The Seagate ST 1000 is about two years old, maybe a little more, and Smart and Chkdsk both show no problems. As well as that, every other piece of software installed on that hard drive, all windows applications, appear to be running normally.

Any ideas ?

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:25 AM

One search led me To an issue with Microsoft c++ runtimes, in it the user removed all the C++ updates and allowed Aol to update it's app first. Another post mentioned issues with Java sercurity in IE. Even though Firefox and chrome are different browsers they will use Internet settings shared With IE. For IE 11 have your tried adding AOL compatibility view under the tools tab?Also Adding the Aol site to the allowed apps in Java security?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,891 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions but I am no further forward.

I uninstalled all resident versions of the C++ runtime, and tried in Firefox and IE, no change.

Installed Java, which I didn't have installed, and no change.

My e-mail isn't an app as such, it is just another web-page. The AOL home page opens without any problem but whether I click on the e-mail icon on their home page or go direct to the log-in screen - which I normally do - I am getting the text based log-in page and it then goes half-way towards loading and stops but claims that the page has completed loading, see image,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qr3n85umrr3pf4v/AOL%20Mail%20loaded.jpg?dl=0

Note this is a composite of two cuts from the one screenshot.

The only bright spot is that my e-mail is working perfectly in Linux, but it's very inconvenient if I wish to refer to a Windows problem. I do have a Gmail account and that is working properly in all three browsers but that isn't a lot of help because very few people know my Gmail address. I only set it up as a teaching aid.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,891 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

I should have reported this a week ago but I have had other priorities. For some reason or other, my e-mail system started working normally again and has continued since.

Why ?  I have no idea, it was certainly nothing I did !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:08 AM

Weird, Glad it's working now!

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer