Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet connection issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wachu13

wachu13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:46 PM

Hello

Sorry for not being able to post results from the MiniToolBox, but I don't have access right now to a friend's computer.

His computer is Dell Studio 540 desktop with Windows Vista

Internet connection wired

Cable modem from Time Warner

So he complained about the internet connection problem. At his house I did try ping which did give me errors or packets lost. So I took his computer to my house, connected to my network and tried ping again. No errors, no lost packets. Just in case, I did test the hardware, scan for viruses or malware etc. Nothing, everything ok. Did ping again - no errors. So it looks like his modem or network cable is the problem. I went to his house with my laptop (win7) and a good network cable. I connected my laptop to his old network cable and ran ping again (more then 10 times) trying google.comyahoo.com, 8.8.8.8 - no errors. So it looks like it's not the network cable or modem. I connected his computer, ran ping and got errors and lost packets again. Switched to my laptop, no errors. I did start his computer in safe mode with networking, ran ping - no errors !?!?!

So, it looks like there is a problem with his desktop but only in his house :) Why at my house was everything ok ?!?!?!?

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

With no errors in safe mode that should indicate a bad driver for the NIC card or onboard NIC.

#3 wachu13

wachu13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:04 PM

So if there is problem with NIC then why his computer did work OK at my house?
How to make NIC use drivers from sade mode?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users