Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help moving os to new hdd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lakersm

lakersm

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:11 AM

I was wondering if someone could help me with instructions in moving my os to a new hdd. It is a larger hdd to a smaller ssd. any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

There are a few different cloning programs available, most I have used only allow copies to the same size hard drive or from a smaller drive to a larger drive.

The only one that I have used when going from a larger HDD to a smaller SSD is the intel data migration software. If you are using more space on the HDD than you have free on the new SSD, you will have to pick and choose what to copy when doing the clone, for me I left out my Steam games as those would not have fit on my ssd at the time. I am not certain if this software works for any ssd, it is worth a shot. I can not recall 100% if I had to delete things to make the clone smaller or if the software actually allowed me to unselect the items. I may have moved them to a external hard drive and then did the clone...

You can get the IDMS here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19324/Intel-Data-Migration-Software

download_32.png
Version: 2.0 (Latest)
Date: 04/29/2013
Size: 200.74 MB
Language: English
Operating Systems: Windows 7 *, Windows 8*, Windows 8.1*, Windows Vista *, Windows XP *

Edited by zingo156, 18 March 2015 - 11:25 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 lakersm

lakersm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:18 PM

Unfortunately the only ssd that works with this is a  Intel ssd. And you are unfamiliar of any other utilities that might do the job? thank you 

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

Copy, I will keep that in mind next time. The next idea I have would be to create a windows backup image and then restore that to the ssd. The downside is, you will have to make sure that image is small enough to fit on the ssd. You may have to copy personal data from your current hard drive to an external hard drive, then delete it prior to making the backup image.

Windows backup image: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-programs-system-settings-files#1TC=windows-7

Here is a video on how to use this function:

My recommendation most of the time is to just do a fresh install, it is a bit annoying to have to reinstall drivers/software...

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 lakersm

lakersm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for all the information that you past on. You have helped a lot. Thank you 

P.S. how do i close this topic?

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

We do not close topics here typically. Glad to help, happy computing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users