Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Upgrades Will Be Free—Even For Pirated Copies

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:59 AM

Update 2: We've not heard back from Microsoft yet, but The Verge has—and it's good news for any pirate out there, wherever you are. In a statement issued to them, Microsoft explained that "[a]nyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Windows 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows. We believe customers over time will realize the value of properly licensing Windows and we will make it easy for them to move to legitimate copies."

http://gizmodo.com/all-windows-10-upgrades-will-be-free-even-if-your-copy-1692096375

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:23 AM

The Microsoft folks is going to be happy that it'll resolve the problem of "nobody is using Windows" in my country (because everyone use pirated Windows).

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

What a trip. Thanks for the posting. All I can say is lol

#4 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:04 AM

Good News! Build 10041 hasbeen release 9 hours ago

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:22 AM

So some people will download pirated copies of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, simply to upgrade to Windows 10 I guess. I can see a lot of people getting infected in the process. Will it requires an "activated" copy of Windows to upgrade however? Some people could just download a non-activated .iso, then upgrade to Windows 10.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:42 AM

So some people will download pirated copies of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, simply to upgrade to Windows 10 I guess.

If they aren't already using pirated Windows then I see no reason they would wait to do it now, Aura.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:52 AM

I could see people using Windows XP and not wanting to upgrade to Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 because of the cost doing that so they could get Windows 10 for free.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:55 AM

Then they might choose the path of upgrading an unactivated copy like you said above. It's a smart move by Microsoft, because giving people the opportunity to upgrade freely also reduces security risks caused by leftover XP machines.

#9 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:08 PM

Affects Market share

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#10 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:01 AM

I am wondering if there might be some information collection going on when you upgrade from a pirated copy?

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 5,583 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:08 AM

More likely a money collection......this is $icrosoft we are talking about ....

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#12 bluesmanuk

bluesmanuk

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:42 AM

Yes, Microsoft will still be aware that you have a pirated copy of 10 but with so many users doing so across the globe, they know that it is impractical to chase everybody.

On the basis that 10 is coming free for existing users, id Microsoft offered pirate upgrades for say a tenner, it would be an incentive to pay the small amount to be legitimate.

#13 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

I don't understand... How would Windows know you even had a Pirated copy of Windows? I am not in experience with pirating any kind of software but it seems to me that if someone downloaded Windows 7 or 8 straight from an ISO it would install but then give them 30 days to activate Windows. Without a legitimate Product Key once the 30 days were over than Windows would just start to shut down, I'm sure it would be the same with Windows 10. If they found a way to get their copy of Windows made genuine, than how would Windows know they were running a pirated copy. Personally I'm still confused on how Windows would be (or would not be) made free to people running Pirated copies of Windows anyway. I mean your either Activated, or not activated, what is in between? Do you have like a message on the bottom right saying "Pirated Copy Windows 7 SP1 x64". I don't really get it.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:05 PM

And here's another one:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-to-launch-this-summer-with-free-upgrades-for-pirated-copies/

Microsoft has inched closer to announcing an official release date for Windows 10. The new operating system, which is currently in a public preview release, "will launch in 190 countries and 111 languages around the world this summer," according to the company.

Executive Vice President Terry Meyerson, who runs the Windows division, made the announcement at the WinHEC conference in Shenzhen, China, yesterday.

In a separate interview, Meyerson told Reuters that the company plans to deliver free Windows 10 upgrades to all customers, even those running pirated versions of Windows. "We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," Meyerson told Reuters.

unite_blue.png

#15 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:53 PM

The pirated copy upgrade will not result in a legal copy!

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/456817/scitech/technology/microsoft-to-make-windows-10-upgrade-free-but-not-with-pirated-copy 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users