Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This Share Was Established For Administrative Purposes?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bujo

Bujo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:38 PM

Whenever I log onto the network at my job I have noticed that the C: drive share name is marked "$C" and is set to shared. I never set my C: drive to share. Occasionally I'll share specific file folders, but never the entire hard drive. When I set the option to "do not share this folder" a warning pops up and states that this file share was set for administrative purposes only and will be reset to share when the computer is rebooted or the network connection is re-established.

Is there something I can do to prevent this from occuring?

Is this something that may have been established by the network/server administrator or is this something I may have done when changing settings?

Thanx in advance for any and all help.

Bujo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:54 PM

In short yes. The Administrator may have it set so that they can routinely maintain your computer. Have you contacted your IT\IS department? If it is not them they surely will want to know about it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Bujo

Bujo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 06:26 PM

That's what I was afraid of. The admin out here is a real shmuck, but I'll check with IT to verify.

Baton Rouge, huh? Coonass? or did you transplant to Louisiana?

Thanx for the info.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:54 PM

Life long...web toes.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic