Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IPv4 and IPv6 settings not saving

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PrplPplEater

PrplPplEater

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:04 AM

The problem

When I reopen adapter properties after having previously changed IPv4 or IPv6 settings, I find that the changes have reverted back to obtain automatically. I am trying to use google dns 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 but I have also tried changing all the other settings and they revert too. It doesnt seem to matter which adapter I try either.

The Machine

Windows 7 prof sp1 64bit.

MOBO is as rock p67 extreme 6 which has 2 Realtek RTL8111E Ethernet Controllers

A TP-link usb wireless adapter.

I can connect to the network wirelessly or via ethernet.

I don't control the network though and I don't have access to the router settings.

I'm not sure what router they use and the most I have on the type of connection is that it is resold from AAPT (an Australian ISP)

What I've tried:

I had quite a few suggestion via google. Here are some of the ones I tried.

Iv'e scanned with malware bytes.

Checked there are no local group policies configured.

uninstalled/reinstalled the adapters

updated the adapter drivers.

Put this in an elevated command prompt. (Not really sure what it does though)

• ipconfig /flushdns
  • nbtstat -R
  • nbtstat -RR
  • netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt (there was a similar one that I tried as well something like netsh int ip reset reset)
  • netsh int ipv4 reset
  • netsh int ipv6 reset
  • netsh winsock reset

​I haven't been game to mess with the registry or reinstall/repair windows just yet. Though I'm willing if that is the only option.

I have rebooted a bleeptonne in the process.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

-Prpl

*In case you wonder why I need to use a different DNS. The building I live in owns the network and they enforce a monopoly on internet services. Their network is really poor in general but the DNS server is especially bad and frequently times out. I previously used google dns to get around a similar problem on my phone and it worked great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:09 PM

If you are connecting to a domain network, then you are probably at the mercy of their security policy.

Edited by technonymous, 19 March 2015 - 08:09 PM.

#3 PrplPplEater

PrplPplEater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the help. At least I know it isn't my comp now.

#4 PrplPplEater

PrplPplEater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:27 PM

After reading into domain networks I don't think that's it. I just connect to the internet through them. Much like you do at an airport. They have no control over my system. Is there anything else that could cause the problem?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:01 AM

Try booting into safe mode with networking and try it.

If it works it might be some sort of malware. You've done a lot of the things that come to mind so.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 sman123

sman123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

I had this same problem for months and finally figured it out.  I am on Windows 8.1 but the solution appears to be the same across multiple versions of Windows because it also works on Windows 2008 and 2003.  Haven't tried it on Windows 7.

Delete the Existing Configuration's Registry Key

1. Go to Start > Run > RegEdit.
  2. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network.
  3. Delete the key named Config.

Regenerate the Registry Value

• In Windows 8.1 go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center
    1. Click on Change Adapter Settings. Right click on the network adapter and select Properties
    2. Do not change anything.  Simply click OK.

Edited by sman123, 11 July 2015 - 02:14 PM.

#7 Solomon_Kane

Solomon_Kane

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:58 AM

I had this same problem for months and finally figured it out.  I am on Windows 8.1 but the solution appears to be the same across multiple versions of Windows because it also works on Windows 2008 and 2003.  Haven't tried it on Windows 7.

1. Click on Change Adapter Settings. Right click on the network adapter and select Properties

Thank You so much sman123, I had the same problem, on W8.1, and tried all the possible solutions above, and others too, but to no avail, till Yours, simple, elegant, working!! :thumbup2:

I wasn't able to see the fixed ip configuration on my tcp/ip v4 tab anymore, and it was impossible to save a new one.

After recreating the registry key, the previous configuration appeared again!!

Again, Thank You so much!!

Bye,

Solomon.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:30 AM

After reading into domain networks I don't think that's it. I just connect to the internet through them. Much like you do at an airport. They have no control over my system. Is there anything else that could cause the problem?

If you are accessing the Internet over their network, it is quite likely they are using DHCP to assign you an IP address on their network, even if it's not a domain network. This would also include the IP addresses for DNS. You could configure a static IP address, but there's always the possibility that their DHCP will assign that same IP address to another computer, which would create connectivity problems for you. However, you should be able to manually set your preferred DNS server addresses.

#9 dGuard

dGuard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

Hi all. I noticed this problem yesterday on one of our workstations connected to a domain.  There were two ipv4 addresses.  After googling for some solutions, I tried to fix it by deleting the adapter driver from the device manager, scan for changes which automatically reinstalled the new driver.  But it did not fix my problem because now I am unable to change the NIC properties in order to connect the computer to the domain. Then, I tried some solutions above but still having the same issue .  And finally, i did this one that changes the registry.  IT WORKS!

Thanks so much and it is good to know that although this thread was about two years old, it is still very helpful.

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:06 PM

Yeah, that will work because you're basically going and destroying everything in the config in the registry. However, there are better ways to troubleshoot than nuking everything. Just outputting some information to see what the problem is. By going to command prompt and...

ipconfig /all > "%userprofile%\desktop\config.txt"

What to look out for...

Your IP address is 169..x.x.x

No gateway address

No DNS

Different DNS.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users