Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser keeps opening new windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Meg24

Meg24

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:04 PM

Hi there, tonight when I logged onto my computer and opened Google Chrome it started freaking out and constantly opening my homepage (within the same one tab). I closed that window and reopened Chrome and it started opening multpile windows on its own.

I restarted my computer a few times because it kept doing this, and now as soon as I log on, I end up with tens and tens of Google Chrome windows.

I read something about opening my Processes (ctrl+alt+delete - task manager) and I had several instances of chrome.exe*32, I was only able to click on one of them to verify the location, but it is in the Chrome applications folder.

I can't work on my computer whatsoever because Chrome is constantly opening windows. I need help as soon as possible, as I am a freelance graphic designer and have work to complete.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Meg24

Meg24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:19 PM

Oh, and in case it's important, I'm running Windows 7 on a 3-4 year old HP Pavilion dv6.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:03 PM

Hello can you reboot into Safe Mode with Networking?

Then run...

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.
  • Link 1
  • Link 2
    • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
    • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.
>>>>

Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool again. Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
  • The tool will start to update the database, please wait a bit.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin to scan your computer like it did before.
  • After the scan has finished...
  • This time click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S#].txt) will open automatically (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Meg24

Meg24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:31 PM

I was able to reboot into Safe Mode with Networking, but I had the same problem. Google Chrome (my default browser) kept opening new windows. I tried to use Internet Explorer to load the Bleeping Computer website but it kept refreshing to google.ca/?gws_rd=snl

I didn't get anywhere with trying to download Rkill. I'm posting from my phone because my computer is near unmanageable from all the Chrome windows opening.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

Try downloading them from another pc onto a flash drive and running off there.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users