Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lag, and pop ups after multiple scans

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:35 PM

Hello BC,

Over time, my Windows 7 Home Premium x86, on an HP Pavilion a6248xPC,  has gotten worse.  Random programs will open on their own; it takes minutes for FF to open, and navigating around the desktop, has become a pain. I try and practice safe browsing techniques. I do not download music, movies, or anything that appears to be suspicious. The only movies that I have watched on this system have been on either Netflix, or YouTube. I have already ran Avast, Adaware (after uninstalling Avast), ESET online scan, MBAM, JRT, Adwcleaner, Sophos Virus Removal Tool, and CCleaner. Also, I have tried a few of these while the system was running in safe mode. ESET online scanner, picked up a few threats, and MBAM was able to delete one threat, while in safe mode. I tried setting the system up in a clean boot environment, but that did not help very much. I ran Hard Disk Sentinel, and my HDD was reported to have perfect health. I run CCleaner about one, to two times a day, and try to run all of the scans, about twice a week. Would someone please be able to help me diagnose, and fix this problem? Thank you very much for your time, and have a great day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:17 PM

As far as programs we can use in this forum...you have run the entire gamut. Let's take a look at what programs are installed and what programs

are in the startup. You can use CCleaner for all that.

If Firefox is still taking minutes to open then I would advise to do a clean uninstall. Removing all of it including your profile. You will need to back up

your Bookmarks if you want to save those. Uninstall using CCleaner then do a search for Mozilla and a search for Firefox and delete all that's found.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Startups. On that page you will see a list of Windows Startups and at the top tabs for each browser and Scheduled Tasks.

At the bottom right of that page you will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste the list of Windows Startups and Scheduled Tasks into your next

post. Please do that.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Uninstall. On that page you will see a list of programs installed on your computer and at the bottom right of that page you

will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste that list in your next post. Please do that.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:21 PM

Thank you for the reply, buddy215. Here is everything that you have asked for.

Startup-

Yes    HKCU:Run    CCleaner Monitoring    Piriform Ltd    FOX    "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /MONITOR
No    HKCU:Run    CCleaner Monitoring    Piriform Ltd    All users    "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /MONITOR
No    HKCU:Run    RESTART_STICKY_NOTES    Microsoft Corporation    All users    C:\Windows\System32\StikyNot.exe
Yes    HKLM:Run    AdAwareTray    Lavasoft Limited    All users    "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\11.6.306.7947\AdAwareTray.exe"
No    HKLM:Run    AvastUI.exe        All users    "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe" /nogui
No    HKLM:Run    SunJavaUpdateSched    Oracle Corporation    All users    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
No    HKLM:Run    VMM Mode Selection        All users    C:\Program Files\HTC\ModeSelection\VMMModeSelection.exe
No    Startup Common    AC950.lnk    TODO: <Company name>    All users    C:\PROGRA~1\Belkin\F9L1109\v1\EzWPSUI.exe
No    Startup Common    Secunia PSI Tray.lnk    Secunia    All users    C:\PROGRA~1\Secunia\PSI\psi_tray.exe

Scheduled Tasks-

Yes    Task    Adobe Flash Player Updater    Adobe Systems Incorporated    All users    C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
Yes    Task    CCleanerSkipUAC    Piriform Ltd    FOX    "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" $(Arg0)
Yes    Task    Opera scheduled Autoupdate 1425977063    Opera Software    All users    C:\Program Files\Opera\launcher.exe --scheduledautoupdate
Yes    Task    {3B116991-17BC-4294-95D8-32FB4876A544}    Microsoft Corporation    FOX    C:\Windows\system32\pcalua.exe -a C:\Users\FOX\Downloads\jxpiinstall(1).exe -d C:\Users\FOX\Downloads
Yes    Task    {E82A4B5D-F89A-4DA6-9CD8-878A235094CF}    Microsoft Corporation    FOX    C:\Windows\system32\pcalua.exe -a I:\sp35129.exe -d I:\

Installed Programs-

AC Wi-Fi Dual-Band USB Adapter    Belkin    1/16/2015        1.0.0.8    All users
Ad-Aware Antivirus    Lavasoft    3/16/2015    59.7 MB    11.6.306.7947    All users
Adobe Flash Player 17 NPAPI    Adobe Systems Incorporated    3/16/2015    17.3 MB    17.0.0.134    All users
Adobe Flash Player 17 NPAPI    Adobe Systems Incorporated    3/16/2015        17.0.0.134    All users
Adobe Shockwave Player 12.1    Adobe Systems, Inc.    2/21/2015        12.1.7.157    All users
Android SDK Tools    Google Inc.    1/25/2015        1.16    All users
CCleaner    Piriform    3/4/2015        5.03    All users
DocToPDFConverter    VolatoTech    2/3/2015        01.00.00.00    FOX
ESET Online Scanner v3        2/28/2015            All users
FileHippo App Manager    FileHippo.com    2/10/2015            All users
Hard Disk Sentinel PRO    HDS    1/31/2015            All users
HD Tune Pro 5.50    EFD Software    1/29/2015    4.16 MB        All users
HP Support Solutions Framework    Hewlett-Packard Company    1/16/2015    8.09 MB    11.51.0048    All users
ImgBurn    LIGHTNING UK!    1/16/2015        2.5.8.0    All users
Java 8 Update 31    Oracle Corporation    1/21/2015    6.07 MB    8.0.310    All users
Java 8 Update 40    Oracle Corporation    3/6/2015    76.9 MB    8.0.400    All users
KeyFinder Plus 1.9    Top Password Software, Inc.    2/3/2015    3.12 MB        All users
Lazesoft Recover My Password version 3.5 Home Edition    Lazesoft    2/3/2015    90.6 MB    3.5    All users
LinuxLive USB Creator    Thibaut Lauziere    2/18/2015        2.9    All users
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.0.4.1028    Malwarebytes Corporation    1/16/2015    57.1 MB    2.0.4.1028    All users
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2    Microsoft Corporation    1/16/2015    38.8 MB    4.5.51209    All users
Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In    Microsoft Corporation    1/22/2015    10.9 MB    14.0.5130.5003    All users
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007    Microsoft Corporation    1/18/2015        12.0.6612.1000    All users
Microsoft Silverlight    Microsoft Corporation    1/16/2015    22.6 MB    5.1.30514.0    All users
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.61030    Microsoft Corporation    2/11/2015    17.3 MB    11.0.61030.0    All users
Mozilla Firefox 36.0.1 (x86 en-US)    Mozilla    3/6/2015    84.3 MB    36.0.1    All users
Mozilla Maintenance Service    Mozilla    1/16/2015    214 KB    35.0    All users
NVIDIA Drivers    NVIDIA Corporation    1/16/2015        1.6    All users
NVIDIA Graphics Driver 307.83    NVIDIA Corporation    1/18/2015        307.83    All users
NVIDIA Update 1.10.8    NVIDIA Corporation    1/18/2015        1.10.8    All users
Opera Stable 28.0.1750.40    Opera Software ASA    3/11/2015        28.0.1750.40    All users
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver    Realtek Semiconductor Corp.    1/16/2015        6.0.1.6348    All users
SeaTools for Windows    Seagate Technology    1/23/2015            All users
Secunia PSI (3.0.0.10004)    Secunia    2/10/2015    8.92 MB    3.0.0.10004    All users
Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP    Conexant Systems    1/16/2015        7.80.4.50    All users
Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (All in One)    Tweaking.com    3/11/2015        2.11.2    All users
Windows Product Key Finder Pro® 2.3        2/3/2015    1.96 MB        All users
WModem Driver Installer    HTC    1/16/2015        2.0.6.13    All users

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:35 PM

Suggest Disabling these Windows Startups: (Use CCleaner to Disable....see buttons on the right of each category)

Yes    HKCU:Run    CCleaner Monitoring    Piriform Ltd    FOX    "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /MONITOR

Yes    HKLM:Run    AdAwareTray    Lavasoft Limited    All users    "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\11.6.306.7947\AdAwareTray.exe"

..........Uninstall AdAware...not just disable.........

Suggest Disabling these Scheduled Tasks:

Yes    Task    Adobe Flash Player Updater    Adobe Systems Incorporated    All users    C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
Yes    Task    CCleanerSkipUAC    Piriform Ltd    FOX    "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" $(Arg0)
Yes    Task    Opera scheduled Autoupdate 1425977063    Opera Software    All users    C:\Program Files\Opera\launcher.exe --scheduledautoupdate
Yes    Task    {3B116991-17BC-4294-95D8-32FB4876A544}    Microsoft Corporation    FOX    C:\Windows\system32\pcalua.exe -a C:\Users\FOX\Downloads\jxpiinstall(1).exe -d C:\Users\FOX\Downloads
Yes    Task    {E82A4B5D-F89A-4DA6-9CD8-878A235094CF}    Microsoft Corporation    FOX    C:\Windows\system32\pcalua.exe -a I:\sp35129.exe -d I:\

Suggest Uninstalling these programs:

Ad-Aware Antivirus    Lavasoft    3/16/2015    59.7 MB    11.6.306.7947    All users (Hasn't been recommended in several years by any professional)

ESET Online Scanner v3        2/28/2015            All users

FileHippo App Manager    FileHippo.com    2/10/2015            All users
 HD Tune Pro 5.50    EFD Software    1/29/2015    4.16 MB        All users

Java 8 Update 31    Oracle Corporation    1/21/2015    6.07 MB    8.0.310    All users (old Java programs are malware magnets)

All the programs have been installed this year......did you reformat and reinstall Windows 7 this year?

I see WModem Driver Installer....are you using a dialup internet connection?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:50 PM

Buddy215,

I took your advice, and removed every item in your previous post. I was using Ad-Aware for a short while before I decided to create this tread. I had Avast installed, but it would rarely pick up on any threats. Not even after running all the updates. I used to have AVG installed, but I switched to Avast, due to the fact that AVG was hogging too many resources. Is there an alternative protection method that you could please recommend? I have never felt entirely comfortable, with programs such as Windows Defender. This PC actually came preinstalled with Windows Vista, and I upgraded the HDD, and loaded this Windows 7 from there. No, fortunately, I am not using a dial up connection. During the OS installation, I ran all of the Windows updates, and the Modem Driver happened to be one of them. Earlier, I ran a few of the options, included in Windows Repair (All in One), ComboFix, RogueKiller, and used the registry cleaning option in CCleaner. I also completely removed Mozilla from my system, before reinstalling Firefox. Those actions seemed to have increased the performance of the PC. Now, I'm in the process of finding some reliable anti-malware software. Thank you for your time.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:18 PM

Avast seems to be popular with Windows users as far as free goes. If I were using Windows I would purchase MBAM and maybe use Avast Free. Firefox with the two most popular add-ons....

NoScript and Adblock Plus.... would definitely be a big part of security and surfing enjoyment.

You may want to see about increasing your RAM. That is probably the best for increasing speed if your computer can handle at least 4 GBs. You may already have that....don't know.

Really, its more important to be aware of how malware and adware gets on your computer and avoid the risks. No home security program is capable of even 90% protection. The criminals are coming out with new malware throughout the day. Signature based protection is constantly playing catchup.

Very important to keep programs and Windows updated with the latest security patches....especially all Adobe products and Java.

Be extra careful using ComboFix and RogueKiller....their correct use usually requires more knowledge than the average user possesses.

#7 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:11 PM

Okay, thank you. I switched back to Avast, and I will add the second FF plug-in. I already have Adblock enabled. The performance has increased some, but it is still slow, and unresponsive. I do not use this PC for much, it is not my primary computer, and the RAM that was included, has served my needs so far. There is a problem here somewhere, and I know that adding another stick or two won't fix it. I say this for two reasons. One, I have tried it, and two, it has been fine so far, and my activity has not changed at all.  The only other thing that I have tried, in addition to what was already mentioned, was restoring the system to a previous date.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:03 AM

There may be some other malware cause. You can get an expert opinion by following the directions below. Once you have posted the new topic

DO NOT bump it....wait for a response which could be several days.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users