Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Super Optimizer - interesting phone call with Adeeba

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wolsno

wolsno

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

So a client calls and says he's got some spyware infections and he needs them removed. Says he called the number on his screen and they told him that his computer has been hacked 3 times and they give him the ip address of the hackers. Then they give him the physical street address right here in town of one of the hackers and pull up a picture on Google Maps of the house at that address.

The software giving him all of the (false) reports of spyware is Super Optimizer and the telephone number goes to a company called Adeeba E Services who claim to be a managed services provider. They gave him a whole spiel and may have given him the impression that they work with his ISP - not sure about that part.

I can handle the removal no problem but I'm curious as to why they would go to the lenghts of telling him the ip and physical address information. Do they just pick an address at random in the same town and say "this is your hacker"? Is this just part of drawing in the victim?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

That's a company in India....Adeeba E Services

I would think the reason for them supposedly giving the address of the 'hacker' is to impress your client and possibly to convince the client that they are working with his ISP

as the ISP would have to give them the actual address based only on the 'hacker's' IP address.

There are a lot of scammers out there trying to sucker in the less sophisticated with the exact same scam. Many get hooked into an unending automatic payment. 

Identifying the actual 'hacker' is a new twist to some of the scams I have seen.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 wolsno

wolsno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:12 PM

I can't see the ISP giving them the actual address of a customer without a court order. What happens if the "victim" goes to the "hacker's" house and shoots him?

Ah, social engineering. Play upon fear and pry open their wallet.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:16 PM

That was really my point....the ISP wouldn't do that so they couldn't identify the hacker....they were lying. They could care less about what happens to

the supposedly hacker...they got the money and they are in India.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:01 PM

Check out the conversation here: Browser tech support scams now talking to you as part of their scare tactic - News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users