Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Find compatible hard disk drive for old laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:21 PM

How could I know if any or which hard disk drives would be compatible with an old laptop computer which no longer will start into any screen nor Windows or anything?    Computer turns on but nothing happens, so I suspect hard disk no longer good.  I would like to try replacing the old hard disk drive with a new one.  The computer itself is 12 years old laptop.  30 GB HDD but I might like something larger maybe 40 or 60 GB about.  Window XP is installed on the nonfunctional computer laptop but I would want to try installing some kind of other operating system (something NOT Windows) instead for the new hard disk replacement.

Edited by cafejose, 17 March 2015 - 04:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:34 PM

If you could provide the model number we may be able to find some information on compatibility; you may be good installing a hard drive up to 500GB.  Any more than that and you may run into bios issues.

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:13 PM

If you could provide the model number we may be able to find some information on compatibility; you may be good installing a hard drive up to 500GB.  Any more than that and you may run into bios issues.

Toshiba Satellite 1415-S115

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:11 PM

I chatted with a Toshiba technician and they said your laptop can support up to 2TB hard drives so that's nice.  All you have to do is decide how big you want the drive to be.  You will also need the system restore disks or you will need to create one if your laptop supports that.  Do you have the manual and disks?  The hard drive size is 2.5 and is a PATA (parallel ATA) interface Just so I don't forget that.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:34 PM

I chatted with a Toshiba technician and they said your laptop can support up to 2TB hard drives so that's nice.  All you have to do is decide how big you want the drive to be.  You will also need the system restore disks or you will need to create one if your laptop supports that.  Do you have the manual and disks?  The hard drive size is 2.5 and is a PATA (parallel ATA) interface Just so I don't forget that.

Nice to know.  I am not sure now if the hard disk is good or bad.  I recently started the old laptop, and some normal starting screens appeared but Windows never loaded.  I am not sure what to think.  I did hear a few noises seeming to be mechanical in a somewhat cyclic fashion.  If try a new hard disk, this could be a gamble because I really do not know what is wrong.  I just suspect the hard disk because the machine is so old and attempts at starting it are inconsistant but always fail.

The original product repair disk/s is/are unimportant.  Windows XP has no support so putting XP back on is worthless.  Some other kind of operating system would need to be the choice.  NOT Windows.

Again about the possible new hard disk drive,  I still am not sure what details necessary for comparability.  Also, 500 GB is too much capacity.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

Okay ... so how many GB's would you like?  How about this one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users